Hooking up Computer to Reciever

Discussion in 'PCs & Music Servers' started by tommy499, Aug 2, 2004.

1. BrocLuno

BrocLuno Lunatic Member

When you look at your power cords, the side with the stripe or the ridge is the Neutral and goes into the taller of the two slots in your wall plug receptacle. That's the best place to start. Get everything lined up so all the plugs are same. Three prong plugs will automatically play this way.

If that does not do it, look for a place where you can use an optical link between components. That will break the physical ground connection and kill the ground loop.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016

Please register to disable this ad.

2. WattNot

WattNot AK Subscriber Subscriber

Forget the analog outputs (headphone or soundcard) and use a USB port out instead into your first DAC you are going to buy. You will be amazed at the difference. I started with a P4 with Win XP, an old printer USB cable into a Modi 2 Uber DAC and have since upgraded the P4 with an XONAR DG soundcard that has an optical output into the Modi and a nice software interface with a customizable EQ. You won't go back to analog transfer. Also check out Sony Media Go software or FooBar 2000 to organize your digital files, both are free and play hi-res files. Get that out of the way and then start swapping your amps and speakers around (and speaker placement) to find the sweet spot.

3. aabottom

aabottom Swing

Thanks: I outta try this on my ancient P4-W2k, but I gotta find a DAC first.

4. statman122

statman122 Well-Known Member

I tried running a USB from laptop to my DAC, but no sound comes through the USB port. My only option under sound prefs. is "conexant smart audio speakers"
    Is there a way around this?

5. olderroust

olderroust AK Member

Are you sure the DAC is working? When you connected it, did you get a notification from the system about a new USB device?

You need to be sure your laptop is actually seeing the DAC, has a driver for it and knows it is a sound device. Power is the first variable to sort out.

Knowing which DAC and which operating system we're talking about would help as well.

6. statman122

The DAC is in the Teac P650 cd player (usb port on front, which works fine with iPod or memory stick) . The laptop is a Lenovo using windows 10. My thinking is I don't have a proper sound card for this function. I could go through the headphone out, but it doesn't sound all that good.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. olderroust

olderroust AK Member

that isn't a USB DAC - it can not receive an unmodified digital audio output and convert it. Essentially the CD player wants to see files over that port..

you'll need a proper USB DAC to do what you're trying for.

8. statman122

Can you recommend one that isn't TOO expensive?

9. olderroust

olderroust AK Member

define too expensive.... But also, take a look in the DAC forum - plenty of discussions there.

10. statman122

say , under $200?