Hooking Up Two Turntables Together

Angry Possum

I'm thinking of utilizing two turntables now. :banana: Can this be done on the same receiver? Perhaps with some type of AB switch? If so please give links info pics etc. I have an old Onkyo TX 82 with a phono preamp onboard. I want to make a comparison to see what TT has a better sound. :jump:. Thanks. I'm Starting to get OCD w my latest toys, Turn Tables.

The Angry Possum

I ordered a cheap box on flea bay few min ago. Didnt see chrisxo post prior. Ill see how the cheapo box sounds. If its noisy ill get the one referred by ChrisXO.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Keep em flowing

Angry Possum

If you have an extra line in on your preamp/integrated/receiver you could always buy a stand alone phono pre for turntable #2. Turntable #1 would go to the phono in on your control amp and Turntable #2 would go to the stand-alone phono pre then to any available line level input on the control amp. That wouldn't let you do true A/B comparisons though as each turntable would have its own equalization circuit.

If you have an extra line in on your preamp/integrated/receiver you could always buy a stand alone phono pre for turntable #2. Turntable #1 would go to the phono in on your control amp and Turntable #2 would go to the stand-alone phono pre then to any available line level input on the control amp. That wouldn't let you do true A/B comparisons though as each turntable would have its own equalization circuit.

This i do not have.

I switch mine into the phono stage. So, my turntables' RCAs go straight to the box, then from the box they go to my phono. Keep the RCAs as short as possible because you don't really want 6 feet of RCA going to your phono stage.

This is the one I use. I found it on ebay for less than $10. Works great.

-font-b-Audio-b-font-Video-AV-font-b-RCA-b-font-2-Port-Switch.jpg

Thanks Again for advice.... Just found it on flea bay very cheap. Typed in 2 Port AV Box.

Last edited:
Only concern is (as mentioned previously) some table/cartridge combos may object to the extra capacitance of the switch and additional wires. One thing that should help there is a quality switchbox AND low capacitance cables. Those should be as short as possible to do the job. Component video cables are a good choice there as those tend to be lower capacitance than standard RCA audio types.

... yes ... <G>

Overall capacitance of the entire signal chain between the table and receiver, so yes, both. Obviously, you want to make the switcher easy enough to get to.

You may eventually find it easier to go with an external pre hooked into a tape loop. Something like the Art DJ Pre II has various options to match capacitance and adjustable gain as well to compensate for most anything you hook into it. The switcher would go between that and the tables.

I did the double TT a little different. I used my stock phono stage on my amp for phono 1. I purchased a phono stage for second TT and plugged it into my line in on my amp. I used the shortest RCA interconnects by Audioquest and now have two really nice sounding turntables one on stock NAD amp phono stage and one on a Pro-Ject Box S tube phono stage.

One problem that can show up using a switching box with turntables is that the grounds of the tables are usually then connected together. This can make for a gigantic antenna, gathering stray emf and producing hum. The ideal switch box would also switch on and off the ground wire of the tables, so the unused one is really isolated. I suggest that placement may require some careful considerations, away from transformers (like in your power amp, preamp(s), wall warts and things like that. Of course, use well shielded interconnects in the TT chain.

Hope it works like you want it to.

Back
Top Bottom