Hookup wire 300 or 600v

JMicro

I am new to amps not new to tubes radio and tube test equipment. I have been using 300v wire salvaged from old pc power supplies for several years. I haven't had any issues so for. Is it OK for tube amp use? Im thinking most of this vintage tube gear wouldn't have wire that would pass for 600v by today's standards and many people still use them today.
Also solid vs stranded. 20awg for power and 22 for signal and audio wires correct?

There's a guy on eBay that sells solid and stranded teflon and/or kapton insulated milspec (or at least milspec style) wire with 600v ratings in various sizes. I use his stuff almost exclusively in my builds because it's so nice to work with. Most of the stranded stuff is silver plated as well. His eBay is "navships." :)

I have not been successful in finding solid wire of 20AWG with 600V insulation. Bought some off an ebay vendor, but it was stranded with 600V. Any leads appreciated (no pun intended).

I am new to amps not new to tubes radio and tube test equipment. I have been using 300v wire salvaged from old pc power supplies for several years. I haven't had any issues so for. Is it OK for tube amp use? Im thinking most of this vintage tube gear wouldn't have wire that would pass for 600v by today's standards and many people still use them today.
Also solid vs stranded. 20awg for power and 22 for signal and audio wires correct?
You should be able to still get a selection of stranded and solid core wire from the large dealers like Mousser, Digikey, etc. Like Nate, i prefer the teflon insulated solid core, but, don't neglect the other types of plastic inulation which are just as effective in terms of voltage but not as heat resistant as teflon. Much of the teflon insulated stuff is aerospace or milspec and maybe hard to find consistently. Beware of the Chinese made teflon coated wire which can be NO spec and the insulation is of poorer quality being easier to puncture if rubs against hardware.

Yeah with eBay seller's it's hard to determine origin. The two I linked to have 100% positive feedback and claim it's all US made and name milspecs.

I use it because I like not worrying about messing up insulation during soldering and because it's a little stiff but has almost no springiness. With a bit of effort you can guide even the stranded stuff and expect it to stay in place relatively well. It's flexible but doesn't flop like rubber insulation does.

If you want something really limp, hobby shops sell silicone insulated wire with very high strand counts for use in rc car battery hookups. It solders equally nicely and is limp as a noodle. I've thought about trying to find some in big gauges in longer lengths to make speaker wire.

Jim McShane carries good wire, I believe his 20ga is stranded but it's every bit as stiff as most solid core.

You could also snag a couple of free crt tv's off craigslist & scavenge the wire & other bits. But then, I'm a recycling nut, so ymmv!

Hey EngineerNate, try Acer Racing's Silicone fine stranded wire for RC cars. Available down to 8GA, that has something like 1650 strands of copper wire.
I keep looking at it but I doubt I'd ever hear a difference running my efficient Altec's. Looks nice though. The pricing is for 5ft lengths of both a black and red piece but they cut it as long as you need it.
If you get some let me know how you like it.

BillWojo

found a good deal on amazon 600v 20g remington

https://www.amazon.com/Remington-In...0518&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=remington+20g+600v

Is it ok to use 20ga on all wire but heaters? Is there some advantage to using say 22ga for other low power or signal connections?
I would wonder about the source of that wire. It doesn't seem to specify. That would make me guess china. . My experience with wire from there is that it seems to be more brittle and the insulation can also be not as resistant to grabbing with pliers. Wire from Taiwan seems to be better.

I bought some a few days ago I will have to see how it goes. It was recommended on youtube from Mark at Blueglow electronics.

The same wire can have various voltage ratings - it depends on what specific compliance was achieved for the many and various standards and tests around. So if you were going to make a comparison, then you need to identify the particular spec complied with for the particular voltage level. Many descriptions also drop the type of voltage (ac or dc). Wire can also come with single or multiple layers of insulation.

If the wire is in an amp, then imho other issues are at least as important, if not more so. eg. ac mains side wiring separated from secondary side, and a properly earthed chassis, and house wiring that is up to standard along with earth leakage protection.

Back
Top Bottom