Hop on the LCD monitor bandwagon

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I picked up a 19" LCD Samsung monitor yesterday and for anyone using a CRT monitor I can wholeheartedly suggest switching. The display is light years better than my old KDS CRT monitor. Looks almost 3 dimensional especially with a good source like DVD. Like all technologies the price point has fallen to the point that they can't give away a CRT and now I can see why.

Mike

I got myself a genuine ViewSonic 17" LCD for the princely sum of US$200 a month ago and for the first time since I started using a PC (1998), I can honestly say that it is a treat for the eyes. No more eyestrain or squinting; blazing sharpness that can't be beat. Plus it's lightweight and takes up practically zero desktop space. Do your eyes a favor, men, and follow Mike's advice!
Tom

I've been using a Samsung 21" LCD for a few years now. I switched from a 21" CRT - a SONY Trinitron CRT. THe Samsung is just as good in every respect, and better on so many others. Screw the people that say blacks aren't good enough and LCD rise time is too slow. I watch plenty of DVD's AND play games on mine and they look awesome. Prices have fallen through the roof that it doesn't make sense for someone in the market to not choose LCD.

The lure of a new 17" or 19" LCD is indeed tough to resist.... but prices are still a bit too steep to make it an impulse upgrade, especially in the higher quality units with 19" or larger displays.

I would certainly consider them if I was in the market for a new one, but OTOH, folks are just about giving away good used CRT's, so if space saving is not a concern I'd rather keep the cash in my wallet right now and wait a short while for the cost of the larger LCDs to drop even further.

hpsenicka said:
The lure of a new 17" or 19" LCD is indeed tough to resist.... but prices are still a bit too steep to make it an impulse upgrade, especially in the higher quality units with 19" or larger displays.

I would certainly consider them if I was in the market for a new one, but OTOH, folks are just about giving away good used CRT's, so if space saving is not a concern I'd rather keep the cash in my wallet right now and wait a short while for the cost of the larger LCDs to drop even further.

This is where I'm at as well... I'm an IT Tech at my work and I'm always swapping out
CRTs for the flatpanels.

They do look very nice, but around our house here, we don't buy new until the old one
gives up the ship.

Scott

I won't be jumping on the LCD bandwagon anytime soon, but I am enjoying the drop in CRT prices that it has caused. I'm simply replacing CRTs with better CRTs.

Now if I could just find a cheap Sony GDM-W900 locally...

Well, like with cables the CRT LCD debate has both sides.

I do photography (both Film based with scanning and digital) and for image and editing not to mention printing what you see on the screen type work nothing yet beats a CRT monitor at least not until you spend well over $500.00 and even then there is still debate as to which is more accurate.

My wife and I bought a new Dell computer 3 years ago and opted for the Viewsonic LCD moniter. At that time they were still quite pricey and we could only afford the 15" screen. The cost difference between the 15" and 17" was quite substantial iirc . Anyway, we love it. Saves loads of space and you don't get the heat and dust collection associated with CRT's. I wouldn't have it any other way now.

I have a notebook with a 15" monitor... since then i woould never look back at getting a CRT....

Right now, Costco is selling a 19" LCD monitor for $299 with built-in speakers. I can't imagine going with a CRT for that small a price difference!

Mark W. said:
I do photography (both Film based with scanning and digital) and for image and editing not to mention printing what you see on the screen type work nothing yet beats a CRT monitor at least not until you spend well over $500.00 and even then there is still debate as to which is more accurate.

I agree totally. I do quite a bit of photo editing and paper-based publishing work and for color-matching, nothing beats a good, well-calibrated CRT.

OTOH, if you're like most people and just do some Web surfing, e-mail, and office-type stuff, then the enhanced readability you get with antialiased fonts on an LCD is probably worth the tradeoff against color fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom