Hotel California was influenced by a Jethro Tull song.

Don't feel like you are the only who missed the similarities. I've always loved the Tull track and never noticed this before either. Although, to me at least, it isn't in your face obvious...

Sorry. I mean there are plenty of songs that sound like one another, it doesn't mean they were plagiarized.
Definitely, and glad to see Mister Anderson understands how these sorts of things have happened for a very long time.

No surprise that Henley continues to be an asshole.
No surprise that Anderson graciously takes things in stride.
I was surprised when they had the Outlaws open for Tull back in the day at the LB Arena. I'm surprised to learn they shared a bill with the Eagles also. WTF x 2?
Come to think of it High Tides and Green Grass has a strong resemblance to Jack In The Green ;)

I saw Tull play in Worcester Mass. a bunch of years ago. Ian Anderson was strumming "We Used To Know" while telling a story about how Tull and the Eagles once toured together. He asked the audience if the melody sounded similar to a well known Eagles song. Yes it does.

I say it's no biggie. After all, The Walrus once said, "There's only so many notes."

john-lennon-imagine.jpg

And yes, Don Henley is still an asshole. Always was. Never liked him.

Ian though is known to be quite the asshole and greedy Tory type, like when it comes to divving up band proceeds, etc., or claiming other band members are "privileged" to be lucky enough to be in his band. Just ask guys like Barrie Barlow, who even Bonham once said was the best drummer to have come out of Britain. It was Anderson who was lucky to have him in the Tull.

Last edited:
I like both bands. I don't really care for the song "Hotel", probably because it was played to death over the air waves when the LP was released. IMO, there are much, much better Eagles songs. I'm not making a living at writing music, so I have no steak in it. In other words... don't care. As far as "Hotel" being Reggae, slip me some of that Window Pane your do'n and maybe I'll lean that way...

No way. Different time signature and key. Maybe the cord progression sounds similar in parts, but that is it.

What about Weird Al? He's been ripping off other artists for years. :biggrin:

Weird Al gets permission from everybody he spoofs. When Prince died, somebody asked Weird Al why he never spoofed him, and he said he tried, but couldn't get permission. His biggest surprise was that Michael Jackson *did* give him permission (although I think he held back on one particular song, can't remember what it is now).

bs

Hotel California was on of the worst songs ever written and produced. That is my opinion and I'm sticking with it......

I don't know Don Henley so will reserve judgment but some of the shots taken here seem unjustified given that Felder wrote the tune and Henley/Frey the lyrics. It would seem then that Felder would be the one to be criticized. Seems like even Anderson is saying there is at best a loose connection between the songs.

Back
Top Bottom