1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Hotel California was influenced by a Jethro Tull song.

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by BigElCat, Apr 19, 2017.

1. JHS2RT

JHS2RT and Miss Sasha Subscriber

Hotel California was on of the worst songs ever written and produced. That is my opinion and I'm sticking with it......

2. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

I don't know Don Henley so will reserve judgment but some of the shots taken here seem unjustified given that Felder wrote the tune and Henley/Frey the lyrics. It would seem then that Felder would be the one to be criticized. Seems like even Anderson is saying there is at best a loose connection between the songs.

3. Estring

Estring Shepherd

I am pretty sure that Don Felder wasn't in the band when they opened for Jethro Tull. He could be a big Tull fan though. That could explain it.

4. AudioGeek

AudioGeek too hip to function

Hey you know, uhh...some of us are sicker than others. :dunno: lol

John James and biscuithead like this.
  5. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff" Subscriber

I know I have read or heard somewhere that it is 3 or 5 notes that can be the same before plagiarism can be declared. Anyone else hear this?

6. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

There isn't even the weakest suggestion of similarity. Not a big fan of either band so no dog in the fight.

7. Sandstrom

Sandstrom Hazlewoodism Subscriber

They were great back in the day, once saw them open up for a group of trumpeting mammoths...

8. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

Ian's take on the subject .

9. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think "The Dude" was right about the Eagles.....

Barney

10. slow_jazz

slow_jazz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Never cared for the song.

11. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

C'mon, gents, you can like or not like Hotel California, but it's a pretty amazing tune. I've stood on a flatbed trailer and played it to a screaming throng of drunken bar patrons, and I get chills during the twin solo every time (which ain't easy to pull off!)

As for similarities, I still expect KISS to pay Joe Walsh for stealing the melody from "Tomorrow" (off "But Seriously, Folks") and converting it into that godawful "Shandi".

12. BigElCat

BigElCat has a mouse for an Avatar ? Subscriber

Ian was referring only to the chord progression on the guitar. He didn't accuse the Eagles of plagiarism, he even said it might be "subconscious" on their part.

I like both songs. IMHO, Hotel California is the stronger of the two, but I don't listen to it very often just because I've heard it too many times.

I can hear the same chord progression in both songs, even though they're in different keys.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    botrytis likes this.
  13. BigElCat

Weird. The Hotel California video I linked in the first post is no longer available on YouTube.

Over 10 million views, and it just now got cancelled. I'm feeling quilty.

I like the Eagles, and wasn't saying anything against them as a band, or as individuals.

14. BigElCat

We could delete the thread if it's a problem.

15. loopstick

loopstick AK Subscriber Subscriber

Slightly OT but I always enjoy hearing the opinions of Ian Anderson and Ritchie Blackmore. I read that one reason Tull wouldn't have gone to Woodstock was that Ian hated hippies. So refreshing. And of course Ritchie has a lot of interesting comments about guitar hero icons.

valvenator likes this.
  16. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

For some reason, the MODS in Britain didn't like the drop out philosophy of the HIPPIES. Mods were clean, had jobs and influenced British mainstream society. Hippies chose to demonstrate against society by dropping out of the process with the exception of voting. Hippies didn't work, didn't stay clean and used too many different types of drugs. Then there were those that pretended to be hippies on the weekend like some fashion statement going to concerts acting like they were with the movement when they were just into hippie chicks, the music and the drugs. I think that's why we are in such a mess today. Too many people just into what they want for themselves and can't be part of something greater for everyone. United we stand and divided we fell.....

17. pappylon

pappylon AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hotel California was influenced by a Jethro Tull song

Wasn't every song ever written influenced by other songs.....

18. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

... and we won't even get into the entire genre being influenced by previous genres ... <G>

19. BigElCat

Ritchie Blackmore was practicing with one of the later incarnations of Deep Purple. He asked them to name the "greatest band ever".

One of them said, "ABBA". He agreed. I'm pretty sure he wasn't being facetious.

loopstick likes this.
  20. rwartner

rwartner Super Member

I like the Gipsy Kings version of Hotel California on the Big Lebowski soundtrack. Wonder what influenced that.