How about a nice, relaxing bicycle ride ?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoor Adventure' started by MaxxVolume, Oct 19, 2018.

1. MaxxVolume

MaxxVolume Addicted Member

I`ve ridden over, around, and through enough challenging terrain to appreciate the level of intensity here....

grillebilly, onepixel, roger2 and 2 others like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mfrench

mfrench Addicted Member

I know this is not the way that it should be done, but,... back in the early 80's, we used to load up our beach cruiser bicycles into pickup trucks, and, drive up the Alpine Loop Road above Provo Ut. We'd leave a shuttle car at Sundance Ski resort, and, drive the bikes to the top.
    From the top, we'd ride back down canyon to the Provo River, which is something like 17 miles of downhill without having to peddle.

We'd do it on skateboards too.
    This was around 1981 or so, and it seemed as if Utah had never seen a skateboard before. People looked at us as if we were aliens.
    My friends and I grew up as LA surfers/skateboarders (I started out with steel wheel skateboards, before moving to the far more advanced clay wheels). So, when we went to school there, we brought our surf/skate culture there, and one of our 'things" was skateboarding the Alpine Loop Road, from the top, down to the ski resort, Sundance. In order to avoid dying of high speed wobbles, we did many turns from road shoulder to shoulder, and rode long skateboards designed for stability at speed. Despite that, I exposed wrist bone from road rash, and, others had their share of hard slaps to the road.
    People seemed like they'd never seen skateboarders before, and were all to willing to give us a ride to the top (hitchhiking with the skateboards).
    Our Alpine Loop road run started out in the high left of the image, and kept rolling right thru the image foreground. The last mile, as we approached Sundance, was steep!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    roger2 and likebike23 like this.
  3. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

All my riding in Utah was as a teen in Salt Lake Valley, gotta lotta miles and had the legs for it.
    Kinda miss all that.
    My first contact with the 2nd phase of skate/skate boarding was Frankfurt A. M. Germany in the mid-late 1980s. The first phase was homemade skate boards in the 1960s. Disassemble a standard clamp-on skate and screw it to a plank, sidewalk surfboard!

roger2 likes this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Sound Hound

W O W !
    That was intense. Could almost feel my arms and legs burning along with his brakes. Dude was flying through there.

5. BrocLuno

BrocLuno AK Subscriber Subscriber

That's damn near motorized enduro pace given how tight the course is in some places ...

6. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

Um, no. :yikes:

Please register to disable this ad.

7. onepixel

onepixel .

That looked like a blast! The dude was slow in the snow, but made up time in the dirt.

8. www.records

www.records Quality over Quantity

Jimmy John's Training Course? That is too crazy for me.