How about we all share what we are using to power our Klipsch Loudspeakers

Hi Scooter, I'm running Quartets and actually the bass has improved since then. I guess the tubes have broken in. Although, the bass is better with my SS Coda amp, 200/400 watts. Overall I'm digging the MP. The mids are pretty special with the MP. It's probably all about synergy though. Speaker placement is crucial. My quartets are rated at 38hz 3db+/- I believe your Fortes are 32 hz.

Thanks Fred,

Able to get adequate levels of volume as well? The 301 is 5W/ch, and I typically listen to music in the 80-90 dB range. The specs work on paper - just wondering how they translate to real life.

Thanks Fred,

Able to get adequate levels of volume as well? The 301 is 5W/ch, and I typically listen to music in the 80-90 dB range. The specs work on paper - just wondering how they translate to real life.
Oh yeah, by 9:00 it's already doing 70db range and just a touch more to the 80's. Be aware that the stock chinese signal tubes are very bright. So probably should expect to swap them out. MP offers a choice of tubes but the prices for upgraded ones are higher than you can find elsewhere. I put in NOS RCA black can 6sj7's $15 on ebay.

Thanks Again Fred,

MP-301Mk1 is on its way over. It's coming with a complement of NOS GE-CG-JAN-6V6GTY power tubes, and NOS Mullard M-8100 driver tubes the current owner had installed.

At the $285 Cdn with shipping I paid for this ($220 US), if this is a good piece, it will be one of the best audio bargains I've ever owned.

Thanks Again Fred,

MP-301Mk1 is on its way over. It's coming with a complement of NOS GE-CG-JAN-6V6GTY power tubes, and NOS Mullard M-8100 driver tubes the current owner had installed.

At the $285 Cdn with shipping I paid for this ($220 US), if this is a good piece, it will be one of the best audio bargains I've ever owned.
That's right, I forgot the mk1 is a 6v6 amp. Hope it sounds great.

I spent three years powering the chorus ii with rebuilt xovers and titanium tweeters with a mcintosh mc240 which I had rebuilt with proper guidance and just this week I am ABing with a newly upgraded Hafler dh-200 that has a beefed up power supply and as the new boards in the hafler break in its looking like the ss amp might kick the mc240 to the curb. I have had to remove the two layers of power supply bypass caps which I had put in the hafler as the bass was just too overpowering. The mc240 has always had a very nice balance with just the right bass slam but the hafler seems to have a more open presence. I still have a resistor upgrade to put in the mc240 which is why I picked up the hafler and refurbed it. It will be interesting to see where the comparison ends up.

Btw its no joke that even with the mc240 you can deafen yourself with the efficiency of these speakers. With the 115 wpc of the modified hafler you can cook spiders.

Onkyo M506RS - LF ~ Heathkit W-5M - HF KLF 30's(Bi-Amped) / Heathkit AA-121(x2 Mono 80w) - Belles :cool:

,Mike. :smoke:

That's right, I forgot the mk1 is a 6v6 amp. Hope it sounds great.

Well that was a disappointment. Words I would use are "glarey", "thin", and "harsh" when teamed with the Klipsch. Almost as if the amp knew every weakness of the horn tweet and mid design, and accentuated it.

A new pair of Russian NOS 6P3S-E are on their way at the recommendation of the amp's designer, so we'll see how those compare to the GE 6V6 that are in the amp right now. May also look at driver tube options.

Volume was adequate, quality of sound was not.

Well that was a disappointment. Words I would use are "glarey", "thin", and "harsh" when teamed with the Klipsch. Almost as if the amp knew every weakness of the horn tweet and mid design, and accentuated it.

A new pair of Russian NOS 6P3S-E are on their way at the recommendation of the amp's designer, so we'll see how those compare to the GE 6V6 that are in the amp right now. May also look at driver tube options.

Volume was adequate, quality of sound was not.
I know that gary of MP fells that mk 3 is a design improvement over the mk1. In my mk3, I had an over bright, thin sound like you describe with the stock signal tubes. Going to the NOS 6sj7 fixed that. The EL34's got better after several days. I swap amps back and forth with my Coda SS amp being my reference. That way I know I'm not just breaking in my ears. :)

I just picked up a pair of Heresy HBR's circa 1981 and I am useing my Onkyo/Integra M-504 to power them. I am going to do the caps on the crossovers and maybe the titanium tweets to. :cool:

Klipsch KG-4's new Cretes tweeters, powered by Sony TA-E2000ESD PreAmp into Onkyo Delta Power Amp 5160. Many Options with the digital or Direct from the Sony!

I'm using an Anthem AVM20+PVA7 to power my KG4, have 3 other pairs of speakers hooked up simultaneously. You really notice the Klipsch efficiency this way. The KG4 fill the room at -30db, while my other speakers need -20 to -25db to reach the same volume.

Definitely nothing to brag about but I have a smallish listening space and this stuff is enough.

Attachments

• Tubes.jpg
    Tubes.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 76
Chorus II mains and SS1 surrounds fed by the HT Receiver listed below.

Thinking about moving the Chorus II to the main stereo system and trying them with the Jolida and the ATI 1502

Original Heresy Decorators occasionally run in the main system for a change of pace.

Kg3.2 powered by a McIntosh MC2205/ C32

I plan to upgrade the tweeters and crossovers eventually. Unless a pair of Cornwall’s drop into my basement.

Sansui G-8700DB powering a pair of 1974 K-horns

P2220131.jpg

Back
Top Bottom