How big are the woofers in your main system?

HOW BIG ARE THE WOOFERS IN YOUR MAIN SYSTEM?

• 4" or less

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • 6" or less

Votes: 49 6.2%
  • 8" or less

Votes: 115 14.5%
  • 10" or less

Votes: 127 16.0%
  • 12" or less

Votes: 219 27.6%
  • 15" or less

Votes: 242 30.5%
  • 18" or less

Votes: 38 4.8%

• Total voters

jeffn

Mid-Fi Crisis
How big are the woofers in your main system?

If you aren't happy with them, vote with what you think are the ideal size in a main system.

I realise there are lots of variables......... but maybe theres a sweet spot somewhere in woofer sizes.....

Just curious...why did you add the "or less" part to this equation? With this pretty much everything is 15" or less.

That being said I have 18, 15, 10, and 6.5" woofers. They all do the job just differently. I can't decide between the 10" and the 15" although it's usually the latter that I'm listening to.

cabinover said:
Just curious...why did you add the "or less" part to this equation? With this pretty much everything is 15" or less.

That being said I have 18, 15, 10, and 6.5" woofers. They all do the job just differently. I can't decide between the 10" and the 15" although it's usually the latter that I'm listening to.

Good question....... I just thought if i put 4, 6, 8, 10 etc, someone with 6.5" would say Doh! .
But what I should have said was less than 4", 4"-6", 6"-8", 8"-10" etc etc
Anyway, I hope the intention is obvious.

The thinking behind the poll is that I am looking for new speakers and my first thought was "how big"...... do I need at least a certain diameter to not limit my volume options. My system is running an sx-1250 at the moment. A pair of my favorite speakers have only 6.5" woofers so I am not size crazy, but the sx-1250 may want some more leg room than those offer. :yes:

Currently, my mains are DCM TF-600's with a 6.5 driver. These are a transmission line cabinet, and you would not think that the drivers were that small by the sound of them. I've heard some folks say they thought the DCM's were a little bass shy, but I think they sound fantastic. The bass is there, it's just not in your face. I listen to mostly rock music, and I have a bunch of Cerwin Vega's in the house, so that ought to tell you that I like it loud, and with a good bass kick! The DCM's will never have that slam, but that's a good thing! When I need to shake the walls, I just crank up one of the other systems in the house that have the Cerwins on them! The DCM's do everything else very well, with much better imaging and a better soundstage than the Cerwins. These are in my will, delihaus gets 'em when I go!

My mains are Polk Monitor 11T's, each with two 6" woofers and two 8" passives. Surprisingly good sound. Waiting in the wings are the big Macs with two 12" woofers each.

I bought into the more smaller woofers is better than one big woofer a couple of decades ago. I like my bass tight and I'm willing to give up a little extension for it. But if you add my subs into the equation then I'm in the 12" or less and not the 8" or less that I voted. To me that sweet spot is between 6" nad 8".

The Onkyo speakers have two 6". I could stand bigger speakers from a sound perspective, but I rather like the small footprint the Radians have.

You left out over 15" (there will be someone...)

Also, It would have been better as a multiple choice, as I have 2 main systems. (With kids competing in the FR for space for TV and game time, its required...)

So while I voted 8" I also have my second system with a 15" dedicated woofer (Not a sub. its an older Motorola 3 channel tube amp) along with the R?/L Wharfedales with 6" woofers...

Then you will have guys that run subs, is that there woofer? (I don't think you care about that, but...)

4 Mach Twos in your face on my main setup. So four 15" blasting out the tunes for me. Major chest whopping and creeping up thru the couch into your back, spine and other body parts. So the music moves round here.:rockon: :guitar: :banana:

Presently 12", but I heard some mighty impressive bass from smaller drivers at the fest. :scratch2:

(4) flawless 12" JBL 123A-1's from four Century L-100's (with new caps), each with a Kenwood L-07MII attached. Cranked up it feels like getting tapped in the chest with a boxing glove.

The actual size of the wooofers in my Mach Ones ...is around 14 and some chainge!.... they got like 1 1/4 inch foam surrounds ...instead of the regular 3/4 inch jobbies....

Well, my main speakers have (2) 6.5" per cabinet with a 10" passive (POlk Monitor 10B's). My EV's have a 10" per. When I get the bigger set of Polks, I'll have (4) to (8) 6.5" drivers per side (with a 12 or 15" passive). I don't have the Altecs anymore. Nice but not for me. So there went the 15's. lol

Back
Top Bottom