1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

How can I tell if a PS3 plays SACD?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by N8Nagel, Dec 25, 2017.

1. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

This issue is easily solved by changing out all the thermal compound to higher quality stuff. But it's not really a job for the faint of heart, the PS3 needs to be nearly completely disassembled to complete.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. jwest1197

jwest1197 New Member

If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure that only the fat Playstations with the spider man logo and the 4 USB ports on the front played SACD's. I have one and it plays SACD's, but it never sounded as nice as my dedicated CD player. Most of them don't rip SACD's anymore since the firmware no longer supports it. I believe you need a fancy program for that, or one of the better Oppo CD players.

3. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Super Member

They never supported ripping SACD, people just figured out how to do it by jailbreaking the ps3, and running unsigned code. The PS3 can still do it, long as you can downgrade the firmware to a version that can be jailbroken.

4. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Super Member

If so, it should be done as a preventative step.

My boys had a PS3 that experienced the overheat failure and they took it upon themselves to study the youtube vids on fixing/replacing the thermal compound and I was extremely impressed that they actually revived their dead PS3.

But it was short lived as it failed again within a week, this time for good.

5. CohibaJoe

CohibaJoe AK Subscriber Subscriber

On the side of the PS3:

upload_2018-1-3_14-48-7.png

awillia6 and bigx5murf like this.
  6. PianotunerNJ

PianotunerNJ Active Member

Turns out there is new hacked firmware out there as recent as 12/17 which I now have. The PS3 will now rip SACD, and play NBA 2018! Good deal. I ripped entire collection, and I figured out how to get DSD/DoP working and the sound is phenomenal. I’m very happy. Foobar can play SACD .iso file directly, and then convert it to whatever I need. Very cool time to be an audiophile.

Ted’s Guide was very helpful. Process was not to complex, just finding the right software and firmware was a job, but once you have it all, it’s no big deal. Based on reports of overheating, I’ll be using the unit sparingly and intermittently. Hopefully I can squeeze some years. I think I read somewhere that with the hacks, the fan settings can be adjusted, so I’ll be looking into that. And, it’s in my cool (cold this week) basement where it hopefully won’t overheat too easily.

Please register to disable this ad.