How can I tell if my LSI need a tweeter fix?

CDinMB

Bought my LaScala Industrials a year ago and love them. Then a few months ago I bought a pair of Belles. The Belles have a more detailed clearer high frequency presentation. I can hear cymbals clearer and they are more prominent in the Belles than in the LSI. It is subtle under close 90-95db listening but now I know it’s there and I hear it all the time. There is no distortion, which is what would expect from a blown driver, but the Belles just sound better in the high end. I have heard the Crites drivers are more laid back which is not the direction I want to go. I have tried swapping crossovers between the speaker sets thinking it might be a tweeter L-pad tap, level issue. This made no difference in sound.

I love the LSI mid range. So do I repair the tweeter drivers in the LSI?

you cannot get repair parts any more that are worth buying but you can purchase an improved version of this driver made by the original company which designed and built your present tweeter. The new part is a direct drop in and is also a phenolic diaphragm so it will sound the same only smoother and with better extension than the stock driver. Contact Bob Crites and ask about the CT125 Bob also has other better drivers if you want a further upgrade just so you know.

Is it possible what I am hearing is the mounting difference of K77 in the Belle versus LSI. In the LSI it is mounted behind the motor board and the Belles have the little Z plates and wider opening that place the front of the horn flush with the front of the motor board. Again I am not hearing any distortion, and the notes are there just muffled a few dB down. Would changing the taps on the autoformer on the Crites crossover help?

Is it possible what I am hearing is the mounting difference of K77 in the Belle versus LSI. In the LSI it is mounted behind the motor board and the Belles have the little Z plates and wider opening that place the front of the horn flush with the front of the motor board. Again I am not hearing any distortion, and the notes are there just muffled a few dB down. Would changing the taps on the autoformer on the Crites crossover help?
Why not try to swap the LSI tweeters with the Belles to see if it makes a difference in the sound you're hearing. The LSI were probably pushed to the limit and a refresh is probably in order as Moray suggested. Luckily you bought Klipsch and drivers/diaphragms are available.

I considered doing that as a test on one speaker and listening side by side in monaural mode to listen for a difference. Listening to the two LSI (different drivers) and one LSI and one Belle (same drivers different cabs) and finally original LSI and Belle (different cab and driver). That will take some listening time but tell me if I am hearing a difference or just “hearing things”. Just didn’t want to rip both set of speakers apart as a first step. Will do that, then call Bob.

I considered doing that as a test on one speaker and listening side by side in monaural mode to listen for a difference. Listening to the two LSI (different drivers) and one LSI and one Belle (same drivers different cabs) and finally original LSI and Belle (different cab and driver). That will take some listening time but tell me if I am hearing a difference or just “hearing things”. Just didn’t want to rip both set of speakers apart as a first step. Will do that, then call Bob.

Do you have a multimeter? Seems like checking the driver resistance would be easier.

Back
Top Bottom