How can you identify an unmarked roll of solder ?

I don't think bink targeted that at you, probably just quoted the wrong post. But anyway there seems to be at least two people in this thread that suggest throwing it away, and those should be ashamed of themselves...

Granted it is a problem that we don't know what it is, anything already made, if it can be used - use it, else recycle - especially if it's got lead. Lead is still useful in today's day and age and we don't want it in our environment.

Then again I'm still not sure what to do with my waste solder from my solder sucker. I've got at least a quarter pound or so now that I melted into a round slab... I wish I could make wire from it again, at least it could be used as fill solder or tinning solder, even if it can't be used for soldering things together anymore.

................. else recycle - especially if it's got lead. Lead is still useful in today's day and age and we don't want it in our environment.

Then again I'm still not sure what to do with my waste solder from my solder sucker. I've got at least a quarter pound or so now that I melted into a round slab...

I dump into trash.

I try to be as environmental as I can, BUT BUT, I refused to really go out of my way. I recycle, I collect old batteries for recycling, I collect old electronics, pcb and all to recycle. I save the normal chemicals in household to recycle. BUT I went there, they refuse to take the chemicals, They want me to come back at certain date once every 3 months on a Saturday. THAT I REFUSE TO DO.

You want me to respect the environment, I am willing to. But meet me half way, make it easier for me. BE APPRECIATE THAT I AM WILLING TO GO OUT OF MY WAY. Don't be like a typical Lxxxx ( you know what I mean) to demand me to follow their earth first, that we human are the intruder of this earth. You want me to follow your straight procedures, you either make it easier for me, OR you can sift through the garbage.

I don't think bink targeted that at you, probably just quoted the wrong post. But anyway there seems to be at least two people in this thread that suggest throwing it away, and those should be ashamed of themselves...
I am not ashamed of throwing that small amount of solder away. Hell I am ashamed that out government is forcing us to buy light bulbs that contain mercury, solder. etc. that do not last as long as incandescents. What do you think is more harmful? I don't believe most people recycle those either. If you want to know the truth, I drive my cars probably 3-4 times longer than most people. So there, I saved the planet that way. My newest TV is 15 years old. How about all of the shitty newer TVs that break and cannot be fixed.. so they are scrapped. If they don't break, they are obsolete in a couple of years. I have saved at least 3 pieces of stereo equipment from being scrapped. So yeah, I'm NOT ashamed to throw away a very small amount of solder.

I honestly don't care what people do with their solder, but the OP asked specifically how to use this solder and all these posts effectively saying "Don't bother using, you're stupid to even consider using, throw away!" is the shameful part.

It's obvious that throwing away was indeed an option the OP had before posting... if that was the option, then this thread would have never been made.

Simply stating that it's too much effort to do qualitative analysis would let the OP come to their own conclusion to throw away, that's fine.

Arts; wasn't getting on your case just a gen note about use, size and shoot the pic to kester. could have worded it better.
-------------
This is the only blue label spool I could find for solid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kester-Soli...775966?hash=item41c5f0f05e:g:uuYAAOSwfRdZJzIA
---------------------------------------
Then again I'm still not sure what to do with my waste solder from my solder sucker. I've got at least a quarter pound or so now that I melted into a round slab... I wish I could make wire from it again, at least it could be used as fill solder or tinning solder, even if it can't be used for soldering things together anymore.

I worked a shop that had a melt pots for dipping various wire sizes and braid terminations, small to large lug crip-ons w/fast torch melt etc.

First thing I would do is touch it to your soldering iron, and see if it melts. If not, it's not for electrical stuff, it's for stuff like joining carbide to steel, more like brazing with a torch. I dunno if kester even makes that kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom