How critical is it that lead spacing matches the board?

https://www.digikey.com/product-det...nics-cde/382LX103M100A082/338-2113-ND/2295343

These are the caps I used. They are snap in but the leads are bendable enough and thin enough that you should be able to make them work unless your leaded holes are super tiny.If that's the case you might have to open them up a little because leaded caps in these values aren't easy to find.
They also have a short version of the same cap. I used the tall ones because they fit into the brackets of the Technics but on a Sherwood I restored which had the caps floating in the breeze, I used the shorter ones for less board stress.

https://www.digikey.com/product-det...nics-cde/382LX103M100A082/338-2113-ND/2295343

These are the caps I used. They are snap in but the leads are bendable enough and thin enough that you should be able to make them work unless your leaded holes are super tiny.If that's the case you might have to open them up a little because leaded caps in these values aren't easy to find.
They also have a short version of the same cap. I used the tall ones because they fit into the brackets of the Technics but on a Sherwood I restored which had the caps floating in the breeze, I used the shorter ones for less board stress.
Thanks! :)

You are welcome. But I thought of something more to say. :) If you PM me I'll just put the 2 that I have here in a box and send them to you. They have less than 10 hours of use, basicly new, I had them in my M-70 amp for testing before they were replaced with 12000µF. The 5th tab has been snipped off but that's not important, it's a dummy support tab. Anyway, you can have them if you want them.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
Old caps removed.

Looks like the United Chemi Con caps are a match. :)

Attachments

• 15291750310491490738527.jpg
    15291750310491490738527.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 15291750839972028351227.jpg
    15291750839972028351227.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 32
The caps shipped today. Past experience is that you will have them in about 12 days.

When I used them I slightly bent the tabs inwards to reach a 22.5mm spacing. I did not bend them back before shipping because I didn't want to take the risk that you actually might need something less than 25mm and have to bend them again.

Cheers,
James

The EKMH800VRT103MB50T caps that @Bratwurst7s linked from Mouser...They are specified exactly as what he received. It is detailed on the data sheet using the decoder ring for the part number. It is a straight pin snap-in cap with 3 dummy pins. Just takes a read of the Manufacturer's Data Sheet to find out what the cap should be.

Looking at the cap, if the leads are not long enough to fully penetrate the board and leave a good bit of material to form a nice solder fillet to mechanically hold the cap, the leads could be modified to make the board penetration section longer to serve your purpose, even to the point of using the dummy pins as clamps by folding them over onto the board before soldering them in place.

The caps shipped today. Past experience is that you will have them in about 12 days.

When I used them I slightly bent the tabs inwards to reach a 22.5mm spacing. I did not bend them back before shipping because I didn't want to take the risk that you actually might need something less than 25mm and have to bend them again.

Cheers,
James
Thanks again!

The EKMH800VRT103MB50T caps that @Bratwurst7s linked from Mouser...They are specified exactly as what he received. It is detailed on the data sheet using the decoder ring for the part number. It is a straight pin snap-in cap with 3 dummy pins. Just takes a read of the Manufacturer's Data Sheet to find out what the cap should be.

Looking at the cap, if the leads are not long enough to fully penetrate the board and leave a good bit of material to form a nice solder fillet to mechanically hold the cap, the leads could be modified to make the board penetration section longer to serve your purpose, even to the point of using the dummy pins as clamps by folding them over onto the board before soldering them in place.
Thanks!

Lets hope no lead modification is needed and that they are long enough. :)

Thanks!

Lets hope no lead modification is needed and that they are long enough. :)
Look at the locations of the + and - in the documents to verify they are the same as the locations on your caps. even the picture supplied can allow this. The pin layout from these two critical pins should match too, but may not have to if only one dummy pin is not 'right' as it could probably be removed.

Sometimes there needs to be some looking, searching, thinking and modding to make new available parts fit vintage gear.

Good Luck.

Look at the locations of the + and - in the documents to verify they are the same as the locations on your caps. even the picture supplied can allow this. The pin layout from these two critical pins should match too, but may not have to if only one dummy pin is not 'right' as it could probably be removed.

Sometimes there needs to be some looking, searching, thinking and modding to make new available parts fit vintage gear.

Good Luck.
I have come across others that will easily work, but wont be a perfect fit.

My hope with these is that they will be a perfect fit. If too much engineering is involved it may or may not be worth it.

I will know more when they arrive, but all indications so far are that they will fit nicely.

The standard 2 leaded Nichicon cap with a spacer on the bottom will be my plan b if these dont work out, the pinout is different etc.

Right now, I am very optimistic and it appears that they will be the fit that I was seeking.

Everything matches up perfectly except for lead spacing. It's about 1mm off. Bending the leads outward a little bit seems to make them a good fit.

Attachments

• 1530987801262-370968335.jpg
    1530987801262-370968335.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 12
James, did you bend the leads inward a little, or is this how they come? The lead bases go in at a 45* angle. I think if I was to straighten that out, lead spacing would line up.

Attachments

• 1530995083032945726690.jpg
    1530995083032945726690.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 12
James, did you bend the leads inward a little, or is this how they come? The lead bases go in at a 45* angle. I think if I was to straighten that out, lead spacing would line up.
All the snap-ons come like that. It's ok to straighten.

All the snap-ons come like that. It's ok to straighten.
Intetesting. They are spec'd at 25mm spacing, yet I get 23mm. Each lead is bent in by 1mm. Maybe each lead gets pushed out by 1mm once "snapped" into position (their intended use as snap in caps) and that is where they get the 25mm dimension?

Sorry, yes, I did bend the leads in by a bit. But being as I didn't know exactly what you needed I didn't want to bend them back and have you need to bend them again. Metal fatigue and all of that. :) Just bend them straight up and they should fit.

Cheers,
James

Sorry, yes, I did bend the leads in by a bit. But being as I didn't know exactly what you needed I didn't want to bend them back and have you need to bend them again. Metal fatigue and all of that. :) Just bend them straight up and they should fit.

Cheers,
James

Looking back, you did mention that and it slipped my mind. All is well now. Leads bent straight, perfect fit.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom