How difficult would it be to convert an Italian spec tuner to U.S. specs?

bergun

I have a Yamaha T-S500 FM tuner that was made for the Italian/European market and I was wondering how difficult it will be to convert it to work here in the U.S.?

I know that it's set at 220 volts, but how hard would it be to have it switched over to 110 volts by a skilled technician? Also, is there anything else that needs to be done to this tuner to make it function properly while tuning into U.S. FM stations?

I'm not worried about voiding out the factory warranty since I bought it used anyway.

Thanks for any information!!

I just researched this but the other direction - US to European standards. don't worry about the line voltage as a tuner draws little power so it is much cheaper to buy a small step-up transformer.

The critical issue is de-emphasis. Your unit is set for 50 microseconds while US broadcast standard is 75 microseconds. This will cause audible shift in tonal balance unless corrected.

Usually replacing two capacitors in the audio end of the tuner is required. Most techs can do this.

The Yamaha CT -7000 TOTL tuner has an internal switch you can use yourself.

However, you may be better off just selling your unit in Europe and buying new or used in the US.

I think that unit is still available new retail for a price not much different than a cap swap and setup transformer and shipping.

Thanks for the info FauxHall.

I went with the European model of the T-S500 since it comes in a silver finish, which isn't available in the U.S.

The silver T-S500 just looks better next to my silver A-S801 amp... I know it's only a cosmetic issue, but I'm one of those odd people who is way too visual, which I blame that issue on the Army!!

Back
Top Bottom