Votes: 57 58.2%
  • Check/Money Order

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Barter/Trade

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Just Depends--Please Explain

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
Mostly Credit/Debit card for me, although I do use Paypal occasionally if there is no other way. Cash rarely, Cheque (Check) even rarer.

EDIT update
Assumed to be 'audio related' purchases. (but not things like food & drink so I can stay alive and listen :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Purchases? Groceries, bills, audio gear? Buying from where? Albertson's, Walgreens, Ebay, BT, CL??

Most all of my audio purchased over the last 20 years has been local used equipment, so cash is called for then. Second would be on eBay, and then it's PayPal. Lastly, if I'm buying from a store, it's credit card, always (usually with something that will add a year to the warranty like an Amex card).

Purchases? Groceries, bills, audio gear? Buying from where? Albertson's, Walgreens, Ebay, BT, CL??

I was referring mainly to audio gear, and I finally posted my vote to my own thread--just depends. With the exception of check/money order, I use all of the above, depending on circumstances of purchase. I guess I just wanted to poll the "preferred" method of payment for the bulk of your audio acquisitions.

Really depends on where I am buying it from. In-person transaction via something like Craigslist? Cash only. eBay I generally use Paypal. Other places on the net I either use Paypal or my credit card directly depending on the site. I think in the last ~15 years I've written a total of three checks, and those three weren't because I had a choice.

Hifi component purchase, unless I am physically in a store, are 100% Paypal for my transactions. If I'm buying in a store, I typically use cash. Cash in had has yielded some nice discounts on stereo equipment. You know what they say....money talks and bull*** walks. In fact I just placed an order with Audio Classics this past Friday...they sent over a invoice via PayPal as requested.

cash or debit
for amazon pre paid credit card
debit is tied to my online only bank account as is my paypal
so basically never credit

It depends. Credit card or PayPal, usually (not every place takes PayPal), but if I use a credit card, I pay it off in full when the bill comes.

Depends where I buy from and what I'm buying. Big ticket items are by credit card. Smaller purchases are either paypal, debit card, sometimes cash.

I use mostly cash when purchasing gear on Craigslist. I've also used Venmo for Craigslist deals, but only as a seller. When I sell refurbished stuff it's usually to younger folks around my age who sometimes prefer apps to send money rather than carrying cash. It's worked well for me, and I can instantly see the funds transferred to my account.

Cash is king. I don't fool with ebay or paypal or anything but cash. I never buy anything unless I'm right in front of it with the dollars. This way I don't worry about shipping rules, fees or damage plus I have more bargaining power to negotiate. Sure I wait longer to get certain pieces I'm after but they do come and go eventually - every make/model I want comes around sooner or later. Plus I actually meet people in person which helps establish ongoing buy/sell/repair relationships.
I'm not selling stuff yet but when I do they will bring cash to my door. All sales will be final.

Credit card when buying from overseas. When buying locally over the internet I use either credit card or electronic funds transfer.
Otherwise use EFTPOS card (Electronic Funds Transfer Point Of Sale) since 99% of shops in NZ have it and I don't have to worry about carrying cash.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this to be a person to person sale, not from a retailer. With that in mind, online, mostly paypal unless someone requests a money order. In person its always cash.

bricks-270x250.jpg
guy_by_tasteslikeanya-daue9at.gif

Can't choose three in the poll. Cash for local sales; PayPal for online purchased via eBay, Audiogon, USAudioMart, etc.; debit card for retailer purchases.

Back
Top Bottom