How do BSR TT's Rate?

Matt Lafayette

Grabbed a BSR TT outta some guys trash today:eek: I was just driving past and espyed it. Didn't know what the make or model was, just saw that the power cord and jacks were wrapped and bound as if it had been put away in working condition, so I nabbed it VERY quickly and with some embarassment. There was a half inch of dust on the cover but otherwise the tt appears to be in perfect aesthetic condition.
The model number is 678. I've found exactly nothing on Google on this TT... Oh yeah the platter seems to be locked solid:confused: . Could there be a lock on it? Should I care? What's the fastest land animal? Etc...etc...
Thanks
Matt

Hate to say it, but BSR TT's rate pretty poorly. I haven't heard of a BSR model that's supposed to sound good, although there may be one (there's a lot of things I've never heard of :D).

Matt

Dont ever be embaressed to grab a piece from the garrbage. I have pulled everything from Infinty subwoofers to Electro Voice speakers from the garbage. Now onto the BSR. I cant find anything on it either. I have used a couple of the BSR's and all i can say judging from the ones I used is you prolly shoulda left that one behind. you did the right thing but unfortuneately the BSR was not worth saving.

Grumpy

Holy Sh*t you boys are fast!
Thanks, I figured as much. It's worth asking tho' since what I don't know about audio equipment you could almost squeeze into the Houston Astrodome!:dunno:
Thanks guys.
Matt

About the highest regarded BSR is the model 810 of the mid-70s, which was similar to the DUAL 1229 or the Elac 50HMKII, at least in appearance. The DUAL and ELAC were, IMO, much better turntables. Not that the 810 was junk - it wasn't - but it wasn't as good as it could have been considering the price.

The BSR you got from the dustbin, however, is probably not worth your time. It's a cheapie. The stuck platter is from one of three reasons:

1. The platter bearing is dirty and dry. Remove the platter and clean and lube the beaing.

2. The drive wheel is jammed against the platter and is probably warped or dented. If you can find a drive wheel (idler) the table can be fixed - if that's its only problem.

3. Something heavy has been dropped on the platter, jamming it down on the bearing. If so, it's DOA.

You'd be amazed at how many treasures I've saved from the trash. Keep your eyes open. The next one may be a real gem.
Dave:)

Back
Top Bottom