How do I hook up a subwoofer to my 4230?

Theoberheim

Knobby | Knoisy | Knice
I just picked up my Marantz 4230 from the repair shop. Sounds great. I also installed an SQ-2 Decoder that I sniped on ePay. :yes: :music:

So here is my "new guy question of the day".
Background:
I have a set of Magnapan MG1's. They are nice but lack the bottom end. I picked up an advent sub woofer (a goodwill find (I did not want to blow big $$$ on a sub for this experiment.)
Question:
How do I hook up a sub woofer to this vintage component? Do I insert to speaker cable into the same channel right there with the speaker? Do I use the remote channel?

Most modern components have a dedicated channel for a sub woofer. Many older systems do not. What is the best method to implement one?:smoke:

Use the remote speaker outputs. I have a powered sub on my AU-719 that I use for movies. It runs off the "b" speakers. Does your sub have right and left speaker connections?

Rob

The sub does have two channels of left and right inputs.

Hooking it up to the remote...yes. I will try that.

But, what if I am using it the 4230 in Quad format. Does that have any baring on the set up? I read somewhere that I should insert two sets of speaker cables into the same channel. One set goes to the speakers, the other goes to the sub. Is that what I am suppose to do? (I would hate to cause any damage to my unit by hooking up the speakers incorrectly.

Here is another newbie question: Sure I can hook up four speakers and a phono and play Quadrophenia with in quad...but can I hook up my quad to a TV and a DVD player and have surround sound? or does it not work that way?

This might be an option.If your sub has speaker level inputs and outputs, you could try connecting the output of your amp to the input speaker terminals on the sub and then from the sub's output speaker connectors to your Magnapans.Most subs have some kind of bandpass frequency adjustment.

Some Magnapans suffer in the bass region and can distort like hell when trying to produce low frequencies.I had SMG-As way back when and they really sounded horrible with anything below 100hz.

This would only work for 2 channel,not quad.Don't send both channels to the sub's input.

Theoberheim said:
Here is another newbie question: Sure I can hook up four speakers and a phono and play Quadrophenia with in quad...but can I hook up my quad to a TV and a DVD player and have surround sound? or does it not work that way?

I don't think so.The early quad systems decoding matrix differs somewhat with Dolby Pro-logic.However,some early attempts with surround sound was based on some of the same priciples as quad.If memory serves,Fosgate was using some of the same decoding logic for the early home surround systems.

You could always give it a try.It won't be as quick and directional as the newer Dolby processing logic chips.

I just called a local vintage audio repair shop (the guy who runs it knows his stuff.) He has confirmed with me that I CAN hook it up to a DVD player, set it in matrix format, and get some sort of surround sound response from the unit.

He also told me the same thing....Not as fast of a response as a newer system...but it should sound good none the less....

So the question is: Hook up my vintage quad system with a deeper richer sound but with a little less surround response? Or should I buy a new digital system with a thinner sound but faster surround definition? :scratch2: ...I think I will try out the vintage quad system...I will let you know how it goes.

just a quick note to ya

Theoberheim said:
I just called a local vintage audio repair shop (the guy who runs it knows his stuff.) He has confirmed with me that I CAN hook it up to a DVD player, set it in matrix format, and get some sort of surround sound response from the unit.

He also told me the same thing....Not as fast of a response as a newer system...but it should sound good none the less....

So the question is: Hook up my vintage quad system with a deeper richer sound but with a little less surround response? Or should I buy a new digital system with a thinner sound but faster surround definition? :scratch2: ...I think I will try out the vintage quad system...I will let you know how it goes.

curently im not running my 2325 but my sx850, and ive got my computer music, cable tv my dvd, and my ps2 hooked into my system and let me tell ya it sounds really good!

Back
Top Bottom