How do I know capacitor polarity with this marking on the circuit board?

dj23tsi

Hey guys

I'm recapping a Kenwood KR-5030 and ran into some confusion on the boards polarity marking. The cap that came out does not have the typical negative stripe and the board has the negative symbol right in the middle of the two holes. Please see pics to get a better understanding what I'm dealing with. Every other cap that I pulled from this receiver has been marked clearly on the outside of the holes. I have no idea whats going on with this one.

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 105
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 75
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 62
Thats a BP cap -- bi-polar/ non-polar
index.php

Ah that was my first thought but the negative mark on the board threw me off... So that should not be replaced with a polarized cap then right?

Well I just ran into another cap with the same negative mark in the middle of the holes but the cap that came out was clearly labeled with a negative lead like normal. It was glued to the board so I think its safe to assume its an original cap. Out of the 20 or so caps I've replaced so far I've had 3 with this negative mark between the holes. I'm not sure if I should be concerned yet or just carry on as every other caps negative lead has been clearly labeled on the board.

Basic rule of thumb - stay with what is in there (unless its wrong....:))
Check the manual and see what is in the schematic (unless its wrong, which does happen)
Check DC voltages - if everything is correct the + will be higher than the - side.
My2 cents

CM34 shows polar in the schematic. CM 33 shows non-polar in the schematic(47µf/10v)

Back
Top Bottom