How do i open luxman L550X for cleaning front panel switches.

quadklipsh

Hi there all,
This amp sounds great but my amp has 2 or maybe 3 switches up front that when pushed cause the right channel to drop below the left .
Also the equalizer knobs on the left need thorough clean up .
Could someone who opens up this model frequently tell me how to open up the front and get access to those switches for cleaning without getting in trouble

Iv tried dropping in the lubricant cleaner wd40 once or twice before from over the push buttons from the front but it has no effect . The thorough way is from within.i need guidance which minimalistic approach to remoce that front panel

Maybe the rebuild thread will have some pics that will help you get to where you can effectively clean the switches and controls. http://amp8.com/tr-amp/lux/l-550x.htm#sp

Oh we don't like WD40 for cleaning electrical switches. I don't know what is available for you to clean the controls.

Time to recharge the batteries in the camera and make a list of each and every screw you remove as you go digging deeper and deeper into the unit until you reach a point where you can put a spray better than wd40 into the controls. I hope you can find something better than wd.

It does look a good bit more difficult than many units since it appears to have three levels and getting to the middle level means the top of bottom level needs to move out of the way.

It appears from the Amp8 site that you need to disconnect the clip in wires on the boards that are part of the controls and remove the faceplate to access those controls. Hard to believe that you can't pull the knobs and remove the side pieces and see what is holding the faceplate in place. It appears to be complicated and would really test someone that has done a few other units and this is why I say you need to take pictures and notes as to the steps you take so you can reverse them to put the unit back together.

There are not enough pics for me to see exactly how the faceplate is removed but with all the boards attached it is apparent it will come out after unclipping the wiring and removing the screws needed. Good Luck.

Looks like the task is beyond me . Ill leave it for another time. Or for a professional. This is a huge amplifier inside. My tech once said its a 20kilo stuffed inside a 15kilo body.

That makes working on them very difficult without good service docs and Lux doesn't have any good service docs

Back
Top Bottom