1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

how do i route/fit drive-belt on Kenwood KRX-5 ?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by autometrik, May 1, 2018.

1. autometrik

autometrik New Member

i have a Kenwood KRX-5 stereo cassette deck reciever, and when i try to play a tape, pressing the play, fast forward or rewind buttons, you hear them start to work, but then they stop, and nothing turns and no sound plays,
    so i took the cover off and looked around inside carefully and i found that a rubber drive-belt looked like it was melted around a round knob thing and also melted around a little gold pulley next to it.

my question is:
    ---------------
    How does the drive-belt fit when replacing it?, does it just go around that big knob thing and then stretch it out and pull it around that small gold pulley next to it?, similar to how a drive-belt goes on a turntable? or not?

i had trouble trying to insert images in the post, so i'm just putting the link to a copy of this same post question i put on tapeheads.com, (i usually post on a couple forums if i have a question, since its more likely to get a quick answer),
    heres the link to my post there :
    http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?p=765550#post765550

Please register to disable this ad.

2. danj

danj modern primitive

It's probably best to pay a tech to replace the belt for you. Around here the going rate is $55 - $60 for the service, although it may be more because the transport will need to be disassembled to clean up the goo. Otherwise try to find and acquire a service manual for the deck and follow the instructions carefully. (Note that some companies which sell belt kits include an instruction sheet with the kit, which is very handy.) Good luck!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  3. autometrik

autometrik New Member

i had no luck finding a manual searching around online, and i don't want to spend as much as $55-60 for a tech to fix it, and would rather try to do it myself for free.

even know im not experienced with working on tape decks, i just started disassembling it, using a youtube video as reference, of someone disassembling a similar unit that was a different brand, but theirs was easier than mine, cause mine had alot more things attached to the front panel that i needed to carefully figure out how to disconnect from it, in order to take the front panel off. it has a bunch of strings around a pulley system in one corner all attached to the radio tuner knob and also has a lot of slider and knobs to pull off before being able to free the front panel off.

i managed to get the main tape mechanism free where i was able to access the capstan flywheel and i pull it off, then i scraped off the gooey stuff with a razor blade and alcohol on a rag until it was all gone, but i still need to clean it off the small gold pulley, which is in a hard place to reach, then i will need to find a belt to replace it with.

someone said i can possibly find one to use at a hardware store, something such as a rubber O-ring or similar, but i also saw a guy on youtube showing how he fixed a couple old vintage cassette decks he had just using ordinary rubber bands, like thick, wide flat ones, like one he used was a rubber band he got off of a broccolli stalk, so i might try to use a rubber band?,

or maybe i should just order the proper belt that was meant for the unit?, it should'nt cost too much?, cause i don't want to spend much money into fixing this.

4. autometrik

autometrik New Member

i'm trying to search for where to buy the right drive-belt for the Kenwood KRX-5,
    i need help finding where i can buy it?
    so far i have found the part number for it, which also shows the diameter and sizing of it next to it, i found it on this link, which is a cross-reference chart of different belts, but i am not good at math, and i don't understand what the decimal size numbers mean?, like the part number for the belt is STC.591, and the overall diameter for it says .591, and the width of the belt says .86 and the thickness of the belt says .86, i don't understand how to convert that to inches or centimeters or something i'm more familiar with?, and how come the width of the belt and the thickness are both .86 ?, i don't get that ?
    http://www.circuitsandparts.com/274-282_List_of_PRB_Belt_Part_Numbers_&_Sizes.pdf

any advise or direction on how i can order and buy the right replacement belt would be much appreciated, thanks.

5. dhnash

dhnash Active Member

I believe that all dimensions shown in the PRB Belt Cross Reference guide are in inches. As I understand the information shown in the guide, the belt you mentioned (STC.591) is a square cut molded tire which has an outside diameter of 0.591", a C/S (Cross Section) of 0.086" and a W (Wall thickness) of 0.086". There should be no need to convert these dimensions but if that is necessary, 1" is equal to 25.4mm so you would multiple the the values shown in the table by 25.4 to obtain the dimensions in millimeters. The fact that the C/S and W values are the same is because the belt actually has a square cross-section. PRB's choice of terminology causes some confusion since they refer to the belt width as Cross Section (C/S) and the belt thickness as Wall (W).

6. autometrik

autometrik New Member

thanks so much for clearing that up for me,

would you happen to know where i can buy that belt though ?

7. dhnash

dhnash Active Member

Marrs Communications might be a possible source. You would need to check with them and provide the make and model information to them. In addition to the capstan belt, there may also be a tape counter belt that could require replacement.

http://marrscommunications.com/

8. autometrik

autometrik New Member

ok, thanks alot, i will check with them to see if they carry it or not, i appreciate it

9. danj

danj modern primitive

The rubber band routine is ill advised for long term usage for several reasons. 1> It's unlikely you will find a rubber band of the right length and width. 2> Rubber bands tend to get brittle with age and will probably break some time down the road. 3> Using a rubber band with too much tension, even if it seems to fit, may cause bearing damage to the motor and other bearings in the transport.

Get yourself the proper belts. They aren't expensive and your tape deck will perform better and last longer with them

10. autometrik

autometrik New Member

i'm not going the rubber band route, i ordered the correct belt from www.thevoiceofmusic.com, it cost $11.95, and should be here soon.

11. autometrik

autometrik New Member

i recieved the drive-belt i ordered for the KRX-5 in the mail, and when i opened it, i was confused as why it is so small in size ? and smaller diameter than a dime ?, when it supposed to stretch out and go around a capstan flywheel that is around 2" diameter, also around the small pulley on the motor next to it too ???
    it must be the wrong belt i had in mind ?, its the correct part number for the unit, but maybe i needed some other belt that i did'nt know how to find ?
    heres a pic of it, to show the size of it, and tell me what you think ?
    [​IMG]

12. dhnash

dhnash Active Member

The belt in your photograph appears to have dimensions that are approximately equal to those I listed in post #5 for the STC.591 belt. If your flywheel is ~2” in diameter, this is not the correct belt for driving it. Did you check with Marrs Communications to see if they can provide a kit that includes the correct belt(s)?

13. autometrik

autometrik New Member

the belt in the photograph is that same belt you listed in post #5, it is the STC.591 belt, which is what i ordered, and yeah i realise it is'nt big enough to drive the flywheel.
    usually i am pretty good at being able to search google and find a free downloadable service manual, but i had no luck finding one for the KRX-5, if i had it, then maybe it has a diagram showing all the parts that make up the mechanism, including all the belts and stuff, and that would be helpfull.
    but i wonder if the service manual lists the part number for each belt ?, cause i would have to know the part number of the belt that drives the capstan flywheel.

i searched all over to try to find lists of drive belts and part numbers to replace on the KRX-5, but the only thing i ever saw was just the single part# STC.591 belt, but never saw any of the other belts ?

since its more complicated than i thought just to get that correct belt, it might be easier to just try out using a thick, sturdy rubberband or o-ring, since it seems hard finding that belt, or what part # it is called, plus i don't want to spend more money on any more parts anyway since i already spent $11.95 plus shipping for that stupid little idle drive belt or whatever it is, when i thought i was spending it on the one that goes on the flywheel.

i wish it showed pictures of the part you are ordering before you press the "add to cart" button?, then if i saw that little thing in the picture, i would assume it was'nt the one i was looking for and would not of bought it.

14. dhnash

dhnash Active Member

15. autometrik

autometrik New Member

thanks for the link for the manual, but was hoping to find a free one to download, otherwise i don't think its worth buying it.

i checked my sent emails and i forgot, but i did send marrs an email,

they replied :
    "Thank you for your inquiry. However, I do not currently stock belts for the Kenwood KRX-5.
    Krista Smith
    Marrs Communications"

part of why i am doing this to figure out how to fix this is just from me being curious and how i like to take things apart and learn about the workings of a mechanism, but also it would be something i can use if i do fit it, but really its not a big deal if i don't, my brother gave this unit to me for free, cause a guy at his work gave it to him. i like trying to figure things out and fix stuff myself, even if its stuff i don't have experience with, cause i learn through the web and forums and stuff, i do the same thing with car stuff or other electronics, etc.

for example, i had an acoustic classical guitar my friend gave me, which had no strings and was missing a bridge, a nut that the strings rest over at the top, and had various markings on the wood finish and had worn pinstripe and designs in the frets, so i learned about the parts of an acoustic guitar and put new parts and got the right nylon classical strings and watched a youtube video how to string nylon strings and strung it, and i cleaned all the marks and polished/waxed the surface to shine it up, and touched up the pinstripe and fret designs with paint marker, and tuned the strings, all so it can be a viable guitar i could put up for sale, but the only thing is, just one particular string won't stay in tune, so right when you turn the knob til it gets to the right tune, it drops back down to a lower note, so i think i have to just restring that one string again, (but the point is that i just like taking things apart or fixing stuff or learning how they work and all that .....)
    don't mean to ramble on so long on that, lol