How do I stop TT feedback?

devoid

NA Volvos and Amplifiers
The infrasonic type. I listening to Pat Methany Group/ Offramp right now while assemling dinner. Gotta crank it to really hear it in the kitchen but then I get this horrible feedback. I'm running two pairs HPM-100's and 15 inch subs with a Dual 506. Foam? Pillows? I want it loud but clean!

Ya got a point. Less than a foot. Relocating things would be a total PIA. Maybe down over the amps in the middle? Would it hurt to extend the phone cables another six feet and the turntable off to the side? I got a Technics SL-1300MK2 but I fear the high mass tone arm won't do justice with the Audio Quest MC cart I favor.

You could make an isolation base for the TT out of a wood frame, sand and a top and bottom cover (with the sand in between). Many years ago, I used a thick felt typewriter pad (used to quieten the heavy thumping of electric typewriters) under my Dual to reduce it's tendancy to feedback.

I am using "super-balls" (kids toy sorbothane(?) balls) under a Technics SL-1700 that is in my family room set-up and it eliminated the feedback that would occur whenever the volume was turned past 10 o'clock. They are placed under each foot of the tt with a small furniture coaster (available at HD) to hold them in place. Total cost is about $3.

The other alternative is to get a SOTA TT which are immune :D .

Jon

Back
Top Bottom