How do you capture your stereo system with the lights down?

Double exposer.. 1st expose for meters and dial lighting in the dark then turn off the unit and use a grey card to determine the correct exposer for the faceplate and controls.
Digitally you can stack multiple images in post.
PQ.

Thank you PureQuill! That's normally how I would approach this type of shot. But, I want to do it using light, either ambient or off-camera. Going a little old school. :)

I've tried that. You nearly need a tripod to hold the camera steady. It's almost impossible to hold it in your hand without getting a blurry picture. Otherwise, it produces a very good result.
You absolutely need the camera on a tripod or perfectly steady in some fashion.

Tripod is essential. Slow shutter speed a must (many seconds). As a result, low ISO is a must, as the long exposure will increase noise.
You will work with the lights of the unit to be photographed as a source that needs to be there and you will need to compensate with additional light that will illuminate the rest of the panel - and shorten the exposure which will decrease the effect of the glow of the unit's built in lights.
A flash is a good source and then you need to experiment with duration (in thousands of a second or (small) fractions of the full blast, whatever your flash provides). As you increase the effect of the flash (multiple blasts are ok) you need to shorten the exposure.
You will need to experiment with the angle of the flash, to get the effect you want. Try out lighting from top, top left, bottom left and compare the results and decide which angle works better for you. (straight on is the worse angle for portraits but perhaps it's what you want to make a uniform image).
A diffuser for the flash is also essential, unless you are aiming the flash on the ceiling, wall or a neutral colored surface. It helps soften the light and gives more detail on the subject.

And remember, you build up experience as you try. A digital camera makes that practically free and feedback is immediate. If you have a dSLR/Mirrorless, set it up to shoot tethered on your PC/laptop so you can see images immediately on the big screen.

Thanks! It was really easy. Just used a tripod and try different shutter speeds. Good luck and have fun!
Will do! :D I have wanted to get a few of my power amp.

I used to do photos I called "nightscapes," where I'd experiment with long exposure outdoors on a tripod, late at night when it was dark, so they would appear almost as bright as daylight. In familiar surroundings around the house it was eerie, since the only light cast was from the neighborhood street lights--it cast weird shadows on everything.

Back
Top Bottom