How do you clean RCA plug-ins.

blinky

Hi, I was hooking up my cd player and noticed that all the RCA plug-in's on the back of my stereo are durty. The Phono 1&2, Tape 1&2 and Aux. When someone say they cleaned and lubed all the ports are they referring to these RCA plug-in's on the back of the stereo? If so or not, what is the best way to clean them inside and out? I know that cleaning the outside of them would be easy, but how do you clean the inside? Could you use Radio Shack's Clean and Lub on them, and for the inside just spray inside the holes and use a cotton wab to clean them out?
I'm have learned alot on this web site. I guess i'm still on basic
stereo 1.
Thanks.

You can clean the RCA jacks with the method you described but I'd avoid using RS lube cleaner. Get yourself some DeOxit 5 or Nutrol and you'll get much better results. It is the inside of the jack that's really important to clean.

Mike

A clean, old toothbrush and alcohol (90+) cleans the outside. I use pipecleaners folded over with alcohol and insert and rub a dub dub. I'll use a couple of 'em if they're really dirty.

Thanks for the help.
I don't know what De Oxil 5 or Nutrol are. But i do understand
bully's way.
Could you tell me what De Oxil 5 and Nutrol are and where to get it, so i will know about it.

Do you leave the RCA plugs bone dry or do you leave some kind of protective coating?
Thanks.

Use Q-tips to apply the alcohol. If they're not so dirty, a few q-tips should clean the outsides.
The alcohol will dry fairly rapidly if you don't soak 'em.
After they dry, they should be just fine.

This may raise a few eyebrows, but I douse the entire back panel with WD-40 and go to work with a toothbrush.

WD-40....a shitty lubricant, but a kick-ass cleaner. :p:

DeOxit works fine too, but at 10x the cost. I save my DeOxit for pots and switches.

I generally use either 99% iso=propyl alcohol or De-Oxit. Dremel tool for the outside and pipe cleaners for the inside. IMHO to restore a vintage receiver and not clean the RCAs is sacrilige, after all we are dealling with extremely low voltages here and plugging gold plated ICs into dirty jacks is not too swift.

Rob

Originally posted by EchoWars
This may raise a few eyebrows, but I douse the entire back panel with WD-40 and go to work with a toothbrush.

Doesn't WD40 have a propensity to migrate to places where it's not wanted ?

cheerio

It evaporates. No problemo.

..and where would it not be wanted? It's pretty harmless stuff. Keep it out of switches and pots, and you really don't have to worry about much else.

Back
Top Bottom