How do you describe "more musical"?

I think it's very difficult to describe to someone that has never experienced a live venue. Now, I'm not talking about 50,000 folks at a baseball stadium where it's cranked until the sun dims and has echo and reverb. I mean a small, intimate venue, well placed stage, and someone that cares running the sound board. My experiences are directly referenced off of one magical night of Robert Cray in a small venue in Saint Louis. 3D sound. I try to describe that if you can get something that sounds natural, and has depth and breadth, and accurate in tone, you are close.

You haven't lived until you've sat with an entire trombone section blasting you from behind for an hour straight. :D

Personally I think musical is the wrong choice of words to describe music played through any given system. I think "truthful"(fidelity) is, in my opinion, a better descriptor; or perhaps "representative of the music" being a better phrasing. The word musical to me is better at describing something that isn't music but conveys music. For example, a bird chirping may be a better use of the word "musical". The drone of a lawnmower on a summer day a block away could be "musical". Those types of things seem to me musical because music by definition is musical.

I like the way many here have described the word "musical" to what it means to them. I just don't like that particular word to describe music. It's kind of like someone here said trying to describe chocolate; I wouldn't describe it as chocolaty.

Last edited:
More musical means that you can hear more of the music, and that it sounds more real.

More musical means less artificial.

One sign of musicality that it is easier to follow individual singers and instruments in the mix of sounds.

More musical means that you can hear more of the music, and that it sounds more real.

More musical means less artificial.

One sign of musicality that it is easier to follow individual singers and instruments in the mix of sounds.

That's too simple and straightforward. Are you sure I don't need some kind of expensive meter?
(Hmmmmmmmm..."musicality meter"...yeah, that's the ticket...)

Last edited:
I sat in a restored theater, dating back to the early 1900s.Two levels and seats in "pockets"on the side walls too. The concert was by an Air Force band, IIRC.

Surprising how little HF material reached out from the stage. Perhaps because there were no strings, but not a guarantee of that fact.

However, there was an lovely cymbal player whose hair got displaced with every cymbal crash.

A lively and entertaining performance and somewhat funny to watch the hair move on the "cymbalist."

You haven't lived until you've sat with an entire trombone section blasting you from behind for an hour straight. :D

Hey, don't pick on the trombones! We're not nearly as crass as the trumpet section! As a longtime trombonist, I can also assure you that sitting behind the French horns in a big brass piece (say, a Wagner overture or a Mahler symphony) is no picnic either.

Reading through here, I am more convinced than ever that the term is useless for audio gear - so many different meanings to different people kills it. If it means everything, it means nothing.

More musical has no particular meaning to me when it comes to the sound. However, I am into gear that allows more of the music recorded reach my ears.

Back
Top Bottom