How do you find your cueing in the dark?????

Tonto Yoder

Former member
Like many people, I listen in the dark when serious about tunes: problem was finding the cueing lever to lift the arm so I bought some glow in the dark plastic stars at the grocery store. The package included a crescent moon that fits perfectly at the base of my arm--if I "Go towards the Light" I can fumble upwards to find the cueing.

TY

My tubes glow bright enough to allow for just enough light to see by if I need. Sort of like a lil fire place. Very cozy and warm... :D

My Technics SL-5300 has a built-in light designed just for that purpose :guitar:

It illuminates just enough to see the tone arm and the record grooves.

I have an anglepoise lamp positioned over the table.
This is usually on as when I'm spinning vinyl.

Last thing I want to do is wipeout a cartridge while fumbling around in the semi-darkness.

:eek:

As well as providing illumination it also keeps the cartridge at a good operating temperature.

cheerio

Last edited:
I'm probably of no help, either. My Denon has lighted buttons on the front that are green and orange and about an inch per side, and they provide JUST enough light for me to see where to cue. However, when I had my Marantz, I always kept a night light in a socket nearby. Dark enough to just listen to the music, but just light enough to see what I needed.

TY

Easy I just use my lighter but it makes it kinda hard to light the Bong then :eek: :D

Grumpy

Listening in the dark?

Doesn't that make it kinda hard to read the sleeve notes, admire the artwork and choose the next tune? I'll admit to prefering low light (not the dreaded dimmer!) but would get too scared in the dark to enjoy the music - I suppose it depends what you're playing I suppose.

Of course if its dark and no one can see you, you could wear a head-light. Just remember to take the damn thing off before answering the door!

vinyl,
the lights aren't always off but are often. I DO hafta pop'em on to get the next LP, but like to lift the arm first before attending to DJ duties. The glow-in-the-dark disc gives me that option.

TY

BTW, does the headlight come with a "Serious Listeners" option??? (those are the pseudo-ears no longer available that emulated cupping one's hands behind one's ears to focus sound better---much like being born Prince of Wales). Now THAT would really be silly looking.

Last edited:
An idea would be a mini maglite or a maglite solitaire

solitaire_keys.jpg

Or one of these: :D

those are the pseudo-ears no longer available that emulated cupping one's hands behind one's ears to focus sound better---much like being born Prince of Wales
There are those who believe his ears where attached at birth by MI5 as a kind of 'early warning listening device' during the cold war. I of course believe no such thing and blame them on the US and there intelligence agencies.

Just keep mum.

Originally posted by Tonto Yoder
BTW, does the headlight come with a "Serious Listeners" option??? (those are the pseudo-ears no longer available that emulated cupping one's hands behind one's ears to focus sound better---much like being born Prince of Wales). Now THAT would really be silly looking.
If we really heard better like that, we would have evolved with two hands growing out the side of our heads, behind the ears... :D

Check this out!

On sale this week at Home Depot for around $35, it's geared and counterweighted for easy adjustment, Two light settings and more than enough light when you need it!

Kamakiri-

What is that three-knob piece of equipment that the lamp is sitting on? It looks somewhat familiar, but I can't make it out. BTW, the lamp is VERY cool looking. Halogen? Thanks!

I'm not Tim, but I play "Tim" on TV.
I think it's a B*I*C indoor antenna--the knobs adjusted, respectively, transconductance, effluvium and obstinatum.:)

Exactly! The BIC beam box is a fantastic piece of gear IMO.

It's a halogen light, two positions, high and low. Ideal for turntables :)

Tonto and Tim--

Thanks, guys. Hadn't even heard of the BIC indoor antennae before. What are they going for in today's market? (However, I think I'll need something a little more complete--you know, one that also has adjustments for prestodigitation, convolutedness, and supercalifragilisticexpialidociousness; I always have problems with those where I live.)

Back
Top Bottom