How Do You Keep Your Units Shiny?

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by chaz, May 14, 2017.

1. chaz

chaz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just wondering what you folks use/do as far as regular external cleaning for your units? Particularly those pristine, brushed silver face-plates? Windex? metal polish? soap and water? special home brew?

2. Probably the best way to keep stuff shiny is to not get it dirty. If it is pristine, why cleanit?

Just dust occassionally.

Too much cleaning wears off a finish and lettering.

If you feel you need anything beyond that, you might consider a lifestyle change.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  3. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Depends on just how dirty. Most when cleaned for the first time are removed the washed in cold water and dish soap with a soft clean rag. Then dried with a mico fiber and apply some plastic headlight polish and buff.

Barney

4. jcamero

jcamero You Can't Close the Door When the Wall's Caved IN! Subscriber

I use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser 1st, then wipe dry with a microfiber cloth, then apply a really good automotive paste wax.

5. SaturationPt

SaturationPt AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nothing alkaline, it will stain the aluminum (white).

6. peerson

peerson Active Member

Pressure washer...Just kidding. I keep mine under cover when not in use. Occasionally dust with a soft bristle paintbrush. Or a Swiffer Duster. Be careful around that stylus!!! (I learned the hard way)

7. winters860

winters860 Super Member

beavis-and-butthead-huh-huh-huh-huh-you-said-unit.jpg

In other news, keeping them clean seems to be about the best option. I advocate taking off the faceplate and knobs, and cleaning with hot water, Oxi-Clean, and a soft cloth.

On occasion, I've been known to use a non-abrasive chrome polish. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes I wind up working really hard to remove all the streaks, and sometimes I work really hard to remove all the streaks and it works really well.

8. winters860

winters860 Super Member

I used Magic Eraser to good effect on black Yamaha gear that had developed the infamous "water spot" anodizing problems, so I totally get where you're coming from.

Just the same, using any kind of abrasive on anodized aluminum is playing with fire. I'd feel better recommending it as a last resort, and even then using an extremely light touch.

9. chaz

chaz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well yes, I do dust regularly and the units are all perfectly clean with no overt stains or spots. I just figured that a few times a year it might be worth actually cleaning them a bit more thoroughly than simply dusting. I was thinking about build-up from oil deposits from skin etc.
    The Magic Eraser sounds like a pretty good idea as does the Oxy-Clean (powder?) and the auto paste wax. I've used plastic polishers on turntable dust covers but, ever thought of using them on metal face-plates. I've heard of some folks using oil after cleaning followed by a quick wipe off, but I think my space is just too dusty for that and fear that whatever oil is left will just attract/hold dust particles like a magnet does iron filings. Anyone have experience with doing that sort of thing?

10. fmcsonoma

fmcsonoma AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not sure if this picture shows well, I'm peeling it forward off the top, but my 2252b has its original plastic cover over the controls. Not sure if you can pick these up but it keeps the faceplate clean as a whistle.

IMG_0119.JPG

11. onepixel

onepixel .

When I get a "unit", I completely tear it down and clean it inside and out, replace bulbs, etc.

I use DeoxIt to remove any oxidation on the aluminum faceplate, knobs, buttons with a soft cloth and cotton swabs. Taking care around any printed lettering. I use Nexus 1 to clean and shine any clear plastic. Then I neutralize any chemical reaction with light, soapy water. Then rinse in warm water and dry with a soft cloth. Periodic dusting will keep them crazy shiny for years. I've done this to dozens of units.

Marantz_2265B.jpg

Marantz_2252Bsm.jpg

Djcoolray likes this.
  12. Djcoolray

Djcoolray Super Member

There is an electronic "Endust" product that you spray from a distance after you clean the unit. It actually repels dust...