1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

How do you like your Topping D30 DAC?

Discussion in 'DACs' started by drabina, Aug 9, 2018.

1. drabina

drabina AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the Topping D30 DAC for a few weeks now. It has replaced a very inexpensive ELE DAC D01. Both were connected thru the USB from my Raspberry Pi running Kodi. When I switched the ELE for Topping, my immediate reaction was that I like the ELE much better. It is possible that I just got used to the sound but the Topping is a lot darker, highs are somewhat subdued and songs that I know by heart did not sound as I have expected them to do. Right now the Topping has good number of hours of "burn in" time and it has stayed on for days. I haven't switch it back to ELE to compare them again because I am afraid that the $10 DAC will still sound better than the $130 one.

What's your opinion about the D30 compared to what you had before?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'd be curious to see a frequency response graph from your $10 DAC. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit smiley faced. The Topping is ruler flat.

E.Auer likes this.
  3. evsentry3

evsentry3 Well-Known Member

Measurements can only go so far in describing how music sounds though a device. Signal to noise and frequency response flatness is not what music is.

One of the ways to see how a companies products sound is to watch the for sale listings over time. That can be a pretty good "measure" of the sonic abilities.

EV3

4. IPADave

IPADave AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm not disputing your observations, but in my system the Topping D30 does not sound dark at all. I found it to be neutral in terms of its sonic signature. Both my Schiit Bifrost Multibit and Eastern Electric Minimax Dacs are slightly darker sounding. I use SPDIF interface and not the USB interface so this could be the difference.

-Dave

E.Auer likes this.
  5. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Objective information is useful for interpretation of subjective listening experiences. It's not an either-or situation.

6. E.Auer

E.Auer Super Member

Mine is neutral as well. USB. No darkness to my ears on my system.

Nate was talking about a frequency graph. It's pretty exact as far as how music sounds.

Eric

IPADave likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. drabina

drabina AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks guys. I will give it another critical listening. I may even compare with some of the built-in DACs of my CD players to make sure the cheap ELE DAC was not blowing highs out of proportions. It is possible like I said before that I just got used to the sound.

E.Auer likes this.