How do you lose a Sansui 4000?!

archibael

KnowsEnoughToBeDangerous
So I was getting restarted on restoring some of my old Sansuis I had in storage. I've had a divorce, a remarriage, and two house moves since then... and only now do I see, looking at my postings here 10 years ago that I had a Sansui 4000 that I seem to have misplaced. My 2000, 2000X, 5000X and G5500 are all present and accounted for... but I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did with the 4K!

I wouldn't have sold it or put it in an attic... I MIGHT have given it away, but to whom? My ex's brother is the only one I can imagine that might have taken an interest, so I guess I might have done that... but I have no memory of this. I thought I gave one to my daughter, only to have it returned since she wasn't using it... was it the 4000, like I kind of remember, or was it the 5000X? I'm getting forgetful in my old age. Did the house movers misplace it and not take it off the truck?

What the hell? It's disturbing.

Rant over. Carry on.

Nope. Always did all that stuff myself. I contemplated sending out the 5000X for its bad FM tuner since I don't have the skills for that one, but the 4000 only had some recapping to do.

It's in a box somewhere. Moving usually hides some treasures, sometimes for years. I have some record albums I haven't seen since we moved 25 years ago, maybe under the stairway along with a couple tons of other boxed up stuff. Way too deep. That Sansui may yet turn up when you're looking for something else.

It's in a box somewhere. Moving usually hides some treasures, sometimes for years. I have some record albums I haven't seen since we moved 25 years ago, maybe under the stairway along with a couple tons of other boxed up stuff. Way too deep. That Sansui may yet turn up when you're looking for something else.

Gods I hope so. Seems like I looked in all the boxes, though.

I have been accused of losing a Sansui 3000 receiver. A college buddy said I got it and let a friend use it or something, I don't recall exactly what he said I did with it. I have no recollection of ever having the thing around. Maybe it was broken and I picked it up and let the friend see if he could find anything not right but that isn't something I would have done, I don't think. It was at least 40 years ago. I don't think it is too big an issue but apparently I have lost a Sansui 3000.

He got a Luxman receiver as a wedding present from me, we're more than even. Recently refoamed and recapped his Norman 10B speakers and hooked him up with a Crown rig, preamp and two power amps. Wonder if he will ever listen to that stuff again before the Normans need to be refoamed again?

I misplaced my PIONEER SX-434 during a couple moves btwn wife #1 and Wife #2. Thought I had boxed it up, but turns out I had loaned it to my Old Man and he had it displayed on the Entertainment Center in the Living room. I walked by it weekly and for over 2 years I never noticed it. Tunnel vision I guess. He called me one day and told me that he had gotten a B*%^ Wave Radio. So I got the 434 back and keep it above my bed on the shelf. It's the only one I ever bought new (in '75) and it's in pristine condition.

Its right in front of you. I have the same think happen to me. I always find it and it always right in front of me.
I'm certain thats where it will turn up. Cheers!

I did the same with my first separate turntable, a Yamaha P-350. When I got back into Audio about 8 years ago, I started looking for it. I didn’t find it until 2 years ago when I got remarried. It was in a box under the stairs.

Now, if I could only find the three spare Stanton styli I bought in the late 80s when I thought it would be hard to find replacement styli because cds were taking over.

It's happened to me, and I haven't moved house!
Large things vanish, or occasionally I'm going through a cupboard and a tape deck appears that I forgot I ever had!

Sometime in the late `70s, I bought a replacement cartridge , a Stanton 681EEE, in that nice little walnut box that they packaged them in. Put it away, for that proverbial "rainy day", when I would need it. Five house moves later, I`ve pretty much given up on ever finding it. I DID look again, last time I moved (a year and a half ago), found an old phony ID that I used to go drinking before I was 21, but not that damned cart....

I am happy that most of my stereo equipment is either where I put it or where some one other than I placed it meaning its no longer mine. In respect to cartridges I wish I had had the forsite to buy a truck load.
It seems in this hectic time a cartridge currently manufactured that I find pleasing would put me several hours towards obtaining a medical degree. I am lucky to have a few that seem far superior to any new offerings I have had the displeasure of suffering. I am sure there truly are some but I will continue being in the right place at the right time and finding some gem of a turntable for the price of a diner dinner that has a topshelf vintage cartridge free with purchase. Oh I know where my gear is. I took over the kids room when the nest was empty. Some differences of opinion regarding that but for another time. I in fact only just today picked up a very nich shure m75e and as a bonus a pioneer pl-25 came with it. I how ever upon returning home discovered that the turntable worked flawlessy so unfortunately I will not consider it a new cartridge and will continue keeping my eye out. On the plus side its effectively going to be easier for me to find as the box is large. I realize that it probably not a popular pioneer as its an idler drive and upon chasing a manual down it seems that of all the decks the pioneer name is on only 3 ever were rotated by a tire..I am once again off subject however as long as I :)dont set my car keys or phone any where near my listening room or my xtra bedroom where resting stereo equipment is I never will not know where any thing needed for my hobby. My wife calls it something other. I know if the phone or the keys are unattended in either location equipment will vanish! Poof! Just like that. Its pretty cool when you find some thing other than your fake id after well in my case I need a calculator. Cheers!:beerchug:
"I started out with nothing and still have most of it left ":( Nemobit

I lost a MacBook Pro once... Needed new hard drive but was otherwise mint. No idea what happened to it. Was in my parents' house in a small town years ago, doubt there was theft involved, but who knows.

I think you won..just my opinion.
I got so into the digital age. Pentium 75 ,150 mega bytes of ram and oh it was all consuming. I didnt eat or sleep...I walked away. I had web pages back when I had to do it from dos. Then when you could pick and paste...I have a laptop. A really nice one its where it needs to be In a really nice bag. Battery is probably dead. As I said in my mind you won. I mean it sincerly..Nemo bit

Nemo; Nothing wrong with a PL-25. I've had mine for 10 years and it's dependable to a fault! So it's a basic turntable with a basic arm. It sounds as good as my 1249 Dual or damned close to my Technics SL-1200 Servo(original version). The Dual is running a V15-III, as is the Technics and the PL-25 has a Pickering V15-F. I've got it down to 1/5gr VTF and it's just fine. Keep it full of oil and run the motor at least an hour a month and it'll keep time as well as any idler turntable.

Back
Top Bottom