How do you store your reel to reel tapes?

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm starting to get a decent collection of 7" reels, and soon I will have my first case of 10.5" reels to go with a few misc. 10.5" reels I have, so I need to figure out some storage. I have around 90- 7" tapes currently, and expect to add a few more as I run across them. 10.5" tapes quantities will grow slowly do to cost, so I won't need as much room for those. Post pictures of your storage solutions or storage ideas if you have them. Thanks.

Onebean

Mine are on a bookshelf. It has doors to keep the dust out. The shelf is 11 inches deep. I have a piece of plywood behind the 7" reels to push them to the front of the shelf.

I just use a book case, but there are more elegant solutions for sure.

Anything that lets you store on edge is fine. Storage containers designed for 7" records generally work for the smaller tapes.

Keep them in a dry place that is low in humidity and does not have extreme temperature swings. Depending on where you live this may be difficult. You should store them vertical (not flat). Try to keep them wrapped in plastic but not necessarily sealed tight. There are some plastic covers out there for 7” reel boxes that do a good job. Many 10” reels come with internal plastic for the reel itself. I also think it is important to play them often to keep them from getting too packed on the reel.

I am using bookshelves, and... ahem....repurposed shoeboxes and amazon shipping boxes. I keep most in plastic bags...... Bags Unlimited is your place to buy the bags (they even have sizes for double reels).

Many moons ago, while helping someone move furniture, I was able to obtain a nice set of old (probably 1940s or so) glass-front lawyer`s bookcases. They needed a good cleaning, but now serve my purposes quite well. You can find nice reproductions of this type, as well as originals, on those auction sites, as well as FreeCycle, etc.

upload_2018-6-14_14-15-4.png

behind the closed door of a bureau (now, during the summer, in a 65-degree air-conditioned room):
gG61EO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom