How do you transfer a tape to MP3??

radiolee

What do you have to do to transfer a tape or other analog source to MP3?

My son wants to put a cassette tape on his computer. I thought of putting it on minidisc and then downloading it to my computer. Will this do it? My guess as far as doing it directly is that you need a sound card with input capabilities.

Please fill me in....

Thanks!
Lee

As long as your computer has stereo line inputs and you have a program that will let you record (such as Nero), there isn't any reason you can't plug the cassette deck directly into the computer. You may have to use a patch cord such as two RCA's to a stereo miniplug, depending on your soundcard. If you don't have a program to rip CD's, then I'd suggest Source Forge's CD-ex, which is available as a free download here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdexos/

Tape-to-MP3

Greetings!

As long as your computer has a sound card with AUX stereo inputs, you can convert analog (tape) audio into whatever digital format you wish.

I've used a shareware product called GoldWave, which allows you to make WAV files from analog AUX input signals. The WAV file can be played directly by Windows Media Player, or it can be converted to MP3.

To convert to MP3 I've used "AudioGrabber" software, which can translate WAV into MP3 files. AudioGrabber can also "rip" CD tracks to MP3, making it handy this way as well.

Someone else out there no doubt has even better choices to offer than these, but they've served me satisfactorily in the past.

Back
Top Bottom