How do you travel?

2011etec

Wondering how everybody travels to vacation destinations in north America.Me I travel by truck or car everywhere as I'm retired and I feel flying takes the joy out of seeing the country.In 2012 I did a month long 10,000 plus mile jaunt from home through several northern states to Victoria B.C. Saw m.rushmore,deadwood,little bighorn,etc etc.Loved Montana ,Idaho,and of course British Columbia.On the way home did the Highway Through Hell and then down into northern Montana and home via U.S. 2

And at least you have a chance of living through a car crash.... And almost a zero chance living through a plane crash, so that being said, traversing across the land in a vehicle or on a motorcycle is my first choice.....and as you said, you get to see the country and experience it.

My one and only overnight vacation last year was ridden to on the bike (2000cc Vulcan) in my avatar. It was more fun than a grown man should be allowed to have and just like this audio hobby the journey was just as much fun as the destination.

I fly - for work last year I flew about 115,000 miles - so I get plenty of points and upgrades to use as I please.

Being retired, we have the luxury of driving. We'll drive about 8 hours a day when we go back/forth from Texas to New Jersey twice year and have some favorite stops along the way. Of course, when we go the the Bahamas this doesn't work too well.

For the past 25 years we've traveled in one of these.

The sound system in it would be a thread on it's own

jr_wma2_8-2011.jpg

my_road.jpg

10-12-2012_US-54_roadside.jpg

10-13-2012_big_tex.jpg

Drive.

It's an overused saying, but there is something about the open road. I find it relaxing.

Used to enjoy flying - don't anymore. Too stressful and uncomfortable.

Tom last summer a Prevost went by my house pulling a new top line jeep.Without seeing the inside of it I would imagine she was 2 mill or so at least.It went by in a whisper.It might of even been one of those ones on that crasy rv show on tv.Custom paint job and more chrome than an old caddy.

And at least you have a chance of living through a car crash.... And almost a zero chance living through a plane crash, so that being said, traversing across the land in a vehicle or on a motorcycle is my first choice.....and as you said, you get to see the country and experience it.

Except that your odds are roughly 1 in 100 dying from a car crash compared to about 1 in 10000 from a plane crash.

Despite that a plane crash probably will mean death, flying is still a much safer form of travel because there are far, far fewer accidents.

Last edited:
Except that your chances are are roughly 1 in 100 dying in a car crash compared to about 1 in 10000 flying.

Despite that a plane crash probably will mean death, flying is still a much safer form of travel.

It is also far cheaper to fly.

East coast to west coast air fare was less than ground transport of 10 miles from airport to house.

Planes, trains and automobiles, pretty much every week.

(Got rid of the motorcycle after last crash.)

I always drive. I like the experience of seeing everything along the way and camping near or in the place I want to see. I've been to a lot of places in the US but I haven't been to the northeast and Alaska. I'm retired now, have my truck and 5th wheel so I plan on driving to both of those places.

Alaska has been the place that I've wanted to visit for a long time but it will be a very time consuming trip. I was planning on going this year but decided I needed to get a few things sorted out before I leave.

Other than very rare occasions, it's driving. If time's a factor it's hammer down on the Interstate. Otherwise, almost exclusively back roads...county roads, state highways, etc. My wife often figures we're going to get lost...but it has yet to happen. You see plenty of interesting stuff on the backside of America. One thing I do enjoy about the Interstate is this: The frontage road is usually the old US highway...and many times you can look a little further and see the vague remains of the previous US highway a little further back from the frontage road. Sometime in the next year or two we're going to pack the Jetta, head down the river on US 61 to St. Louie, then west on what remains of Route 66. We've never seen the Grand Canyon and would like to see it before it's stripmined or something.

Other than very rare occasions, it's driving. If time's a factor it's hammer down on the Interstate. Otherwise, almost exclusively back roads...county roads, state highways, etc. My wife often figures we're going to get lost...but it has yet to happen. You see plenty of interesting stuff on the backside of America. One thing I do enjoy about the Interstate is this: The frontage road is usually the old US highway...and many times you can look a little further and see the vague remains of the previous US highway a little further back from the frontage road. Sometime in the next year or two we're going to pack the Jetta, head down the river on US 61 to St. Louie, then west on what remains of Route 66. We've never seen the Grand Canyon and would like to see it before it's stripmined or something.

Same here.

I mentioned this in another thread, but last October we took a driving road trip to New Mexico. After our last day up in Chama to ride the Cumbres & Toltec steam engine narrow gauge scenic trip, we drove back to Flagstaff via 'back roads'.

And I mean back roads - where the 'official' NM interstate highway was a dirt road thru Apache Indian Reservation land.

Gorgeous, not a soul for 30+ miles, but no cell phone coverage - totally off the grid. But worth it!

I've been all over the Western U.S. in a car (SUV). My family is big on road trips, and we've been to every state west of the Great Plains (as well as British Columbia) via car. Anywhere else and the preferred method is flying.

Back
Top Bottom