How do you use your solder from a 1-pound roll?

I use 1 lb rolls of Kester, but have a nice taller red Multicore spool. I wind about ten feet of kester on the red plastic spool and use that at the bench.

I guess I'm weird too, I leave mine on the spool, unroll a bit and let the spool's mass keep the wire steady if needed. There are "tape dispensers" that dispense solder, but I don't necessarily find those to be convenient. I snake the solder to where it's needed if I need a third hand for the solder and it tends to be malleable enough to hold shape.

Fortunately the solder I do have are much lower than 1lb now. Having multiple small rolls of different formulations/thicknesses is helpful.

Currently I have about a ~ 1/2 used 1/2 pound spool of 0.062, 1/3 used 250g spool of 60-40 0.031, near full 1/4 lb spool of lead free 0.031, and a 3/4 used 1lb spool of 63-37 0.031 (which I got used, so I never had to deal with the full pound.)

Though I have the lead free, I wish it was easier to tell which solders are lead free on the device being repaired, so I can make sure I don't mix them up... plus I don't like the rosin in the lead free.

I unspool about 3 feet at a time and wind it around 3 fingers to make a small coil, then use it. I find having the small coil makes it easier to pick it up off the work bench. - Chris
I do the same. Plus, I invariably drop it on the floor a lot. When in doubt, look on the floor.

I guess I'm the only weirdo that just feeds it off the roll. Unwind a couple feet, sit the roll on the table and use what I need. Wind it back up when done.
You're not alone, I am the same kind of weirdo, pull it out and let it hang . . . . :rockon:

I usually cut off about 24" and wad it up into a small bite-sized ball. I then feed what I need from my mouth. That way, I have two free hands for soldering and have control of the solder. BTW, I only use leaded solder because unleaded just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth that I cannot get rid of!
:):D:rflmao::D:)

Last edited:
Sometimes I wrap 10 feet or so around a small diameter medication container, you know, the orange ones from CVS, then put the coils inside a slightly larger diameter container with a 1/4" hole drilled into the cap, dispense it out of the hole. But then I figured out I could use a 4" sheet rock screw to mount the 1 lb. roll to the shelf over my bench and just unroll what I need there.

I can't stand it when I come to the end of a roll, whatever it may come from, and be left with a short piece of solder that's near impossible to use without burning fingers... When not cutting off pieces, it reduces the number of these remnants...

I hope you mouth people are kidding. If not, stop that. It's unhealthy and dumb. It makes you dumber, too, and since you're already dumb, who knows what'll happen?

I hope you mouth people are kidding. If not, stop that. It's unhealthy and dumb. It makes you dumber, too, and since you're already dumb, who knows what'll happen?
Me thinks you need to review the AK rules. Your not going to last very long otherwise.;)

I usually cut off about 24" and wad it up into a small bite-sized ball. I then feed what I need from my mouth. That way, I have two free hands for soldering and have control of the solder. BTW, I only use leaded solder because unleaded just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth that I cannot get rid of!
:):D:rflmao::D:)
^

Great technique,but you'd better make damned sure all of the caps are discharged,especially if you're working on tube gear:rflmao:

I've found useful to use an empty solder wick case to wind the solder and use it from there:

chaves-13003-malla-desoldante-r7102-4-mm-.jpg

Back
Top Bottom