1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

How does a tube amp work?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by BmWr75, May 15, 2012.

1. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

The speaker manufacturer decides this. But Gordon's helpful response to this query in post #107 explains why a 25W tube amp might work as well as a 100W SS amp for any particular speaker. His points are that tube amps can run closer to their max output before clipping, and a 3dB volume difference does not sound much louder. 'So, if you have a 25 watt amp which you can "use" to 24 watts, vs. a 100w amp that you can only "use" up to 50- that's only 3dB difference. Not that much perceived volume difference at all...'

Please register to disable this ad.

2. opnly bafld

opnly bafld AK Subscriber Subscriber

The manufacturer gives a recommended range, but I have used many speakers below their minimum with great results.

:thumbsup:

Dandy likes this.
  3. FidgetMaster

FidgetMaster Active Member

But you'll still use SS stuff up front because it still has a better variation on tonal differences and easier to manipulate without changing everything in a tube preamp.

4. quiet

quiet AK Subscriber Subscriber

That begs this question. Since I only have 10 watts at most.
    What % of power can I run my 10 watt tube unit at? All day all night. 24/7.
    90%? as long as it sounds good?
    No I could never run a 50 watt SS unit like that could I?

Attached Files:

5. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

In the tube era, PA amps, radios and TVs, were all designed to run for long periods of time without difficulty. So, you can run your amp 24/7. Whether you want to run it just below clipping volume is another matter, unless you are running a dance club.

I would never leave a tube amp on unattended, even if it had been completely rebuilt, for eco and safety reasons.