How does Akai X-165D Custom Deck compare with 100D or 150D?

Arkay

Lunatic Member
Today I saw an Akai X-165D "Custom " R2R tape deck in a junk shop. :D :scratch2: It looked to be in excellent condition: no scratches in the (vinyl-?) woodgrain, sharp corners, even the acrylic cover over the front was virtually unscratched and a nice snug fit. Controls looked clean and shiny, etc... Either little-used or very well-cared-for. They are asking $150 for it, not cheap nor really outrageous (can probably negotiate it down a bit) and they say "it works" --whatever that means [LOL] - although looking at the condition it is in, I wouldn't be too surprised if it does work okay as-is.

I find a lot of references to the X-100D and X-150D "Custom" models online and here on AK, but almost nothing about the 165D. Does anyone know how it compares with those? What are the differences? Is this a deck that would be worth getting, from the standpoint of build quality, sonic performance and market value? Specifically, how does the sound compare to other/later models? Are the heads likely to last? Any comments/advice appreciated. I have almost two weeks to think about it; the shop was closing up when I saw it, and will be closed that long while the owners go back to the mainland for the Chinese New Year holiday period.

I'm still determined to (eventually) get a high-end Studer/Revox or Tascam (see previous posts for that.... argh!), but I wouldn't mind starting off with something as small and clean as this Akai, in the meantime, assuming I can eventually re-sell it (when I find that Studer/Revox/Tascam) for what I paid for it (or better). Thanks! :thmbsp: :D

Back
Top Bottom