How does H-D stay relevant in a changing market?

H-Ds advanced future series, the V-rod, has been discontinued. I'm not that familiar with the present or proposed lines other than there's some electrics in development and a couple of newer entry level bikes on offer. I admit to never really "getting" the Harley market in spite of riding them, I thought it should have been saturated a couple decades ago.

It would be pretty scary being in the business they're in as the interest in riding (and driving) continues to decline. How do you compete with that?
Dunno, may be past its prime now. Vehicle ownership isn't what it once was as a standard expectation, personal rv types especially, atvs notwithstanding.
The H-D market seemed oversupplied with preowned bikes for a number of years to me, I've been expecting a fall in new sales from glut and rising prices as well as falling interest.

The thing is - why buy a new HD? There's a zillion old ones out there for cheap. You can get a 90's Evo model for less than a new Sportster. etc etc etc. Hipsters want Shovels anyway.

The Japanese don't have this issue because a crotchrocket lasts about 4-5 years before it's totaled. So there's a no glut of used ones out there. And, their buyers always want to have the one that's got 0.01HP more than every other, or goes 1mph faster. Even though they'll never ride the thing at 50% of what it can do.

I saw a commercial for H-D promoting low interest financing last night on the tube. Maybe that's their new angle on the upcoming spring market.

Our Universities are full of Asians, over 40%, driving high end European cars.
They can sell the BMW if they decide to return home, but bikes don't sell as fast and usually are not worth importing compared to say a Lamborghini.

As for your kids, $30K for a motorcycle is just not practical.
They use the phone to get hooked up, unlike the past when a hot set of wheels might get you a hot date.
Times have changed!

I said in a companion thread about using vehicles for date bait to instead get something *you* really like, then go to your local watering hole, find someone you can't stand and give them a house and an allowance.

Last edited:
I'm suiting up to take my new to me Harley Davidson Road King out for a ride right now in the beautiful Michigan weather ,went out earlier in the truck and roads are clean so I'm off for my 1st ride on this stroker .

I'm suiting up to take my new to me Harley Davidson Road King out for a ride right now in the beautiful Michigan weather ,went out earlier in the truck and roads are clean so I'm off for my 1st ride on this stroker.

You're just an animal. :biggrin:
My cut off used to be 38°F, now anything below 50° and I'm out unless it's for a fallen veteran, peace officer, EMS or first responder. Patriot Guard rider here.

You're just an animal. :biggrin:
My cut off used to be 38°F, now anything below 50° and I'm out unless it's for a fallen veteran, peace officer, EMS or first responder. Patriot Guard rider here.

It wasn't bad out and I didn't even put on my chaps,denim jeans ,a sweatshirt under my denim jacket ,thick palmed leather gloves ,a ski hat under my helmet and some glasses ,I put 73 miles on the bike & had alot of fun ,met up on expressway with another guy riding a big Honda 6 cyl & rode around 10 miles with him before I had to get off & head back home ,my brother did an outstanding job stroking that 103 CI out and regearing the trans ,on the E-way I didn't miss not having a 6th gear at all .

It wasn't bad out and I didn't even put on my chaps,denim jeans ,a sweatshirt under my denim jacket ,thick palmed leather gloves ,a ski hat under my helmet and some glasses ,I put 73 miles on the bike & had alot of fun ,met up on expressway with another guy riding a big Honda 6 cyl & rode around 10 miles with him before I had to get off & head back home ,my brother did an outstanding job stroking that 103 CI out and regearing the trans ,on the E-way I didn't miss not having a 6th gear at all .

Jeez you suk! :biggrin:
Mine's buried in the back of the garage with shit packed all around it and we're under a winter storm warning tonight with blizzard winds tomorrow. Then to top it off temps will be back in the deep freeze every night this week. At least one of us got to ride and I truly hope you had a great time, after this week I believe you earned it. :bigok:

Also good to hear your happy with the stroking of that 103, some that I talked with said they wished they would of left theirs alone. Depends on the mech/machinists that work on it I guess. I often wondered why Honda didn't put another taller gear in the Goldwing, it would of made I-state driving a whole lot more enjoyable and gas mileage better too.

Jeez you suk! :biggrin:
Mine's buried in the back of the garage with shit packed all around it and we're under a winter storm warning tonight with blizzard winds tomorrow. Then to top it off temps will be back in the deep freeze every night this week. At least one of us got to ride and I truly hope you had a great time, after this week I believe you earned it. :bigok:

Also good to hear your happy with the stroking of that 103, some that I talked with said they wished they would of left theirs alone. Depends on the mech/machinists that work on it I guess. I often wondered why Honda didn't put another taller gear in the Goldwing, it would of made I-state driving a whole lot more enjoyable and gas mileage better too.
My VTX 1800F was close to Screaming Eagle 3 off the floor stockers, I put a 1200 rear end on it to raise the ratio for interstate and better shift points. I really enjoyed it while I could handle it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom