how does UPS even accept crap packed like this ?

I shipped a 1" C-Type broadcast-quality video player from Indiana to New Jersey via Fedex for repair. It was packed upright in a wheeled shipping case with foam surrounds, bolted to internal rails. The total shipping weight was 320lbs. Fedex, in their infinite wisdom, decided to ship it face-down (not on its wheels). Because of the weight (and/or possibly mishandling), three of the screws holding the lower portion of one bracket pulled loose allowing the lower-front of the player to ride against the front panel's medium-density foam. Luckily it only shook several cards loose and scraped the front a bit. When new in 1976, I believe these retailed for around $40,000.00 and are now difficult to find in working condition. We were lucky this time. It won't happen again.

I got a 240V window A/C unit (very heavy) delivered yesterday via UPS and the delivery driver didn't have a dolly so his solution? Literally roll the box up to my door. Smashing it all over the place as it made its way to my door.

That is the driver's way of encouraging both parties to find an alternative shipping option for stuff too heavy to carry. I ordered a 200 pound generator a couple of weeks ago. Shipping to the house was an option (with the probable drop, smash, and roll transport method) but picking it up at the store meant it was loaded into my truck with a forklift and all the dropping and smashing was up to me on my end.

Hint - a hydraulic lift table is a wonderful tool for every guy that has a wife that can't lift 150+ pounds ;) https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

There is no cure for stupid and it ceases to amaze me the lack of common sense out there
You are absolutely right! I'm not surprised anymore. It's simply astounding what people do... Think I'm wrong? Next time you pull up to a 4-way stop sign, watch how many don't even know who to negotiate it! It's simply frightening. Everyone is so much in a frick'n hurry and selfish, they simply do not want to wait their turn. It's maddening for sure, but I don't let it affect my blood pressure anymore. When you don't care, you don't pack well. I'd be all over negative feedback if it happened to me. If's it packed well, chances are it will survive USPS, UPS and FedEx carriers. I've had bad experience with product that was not what it was advertised as. I usually always write to the seller and demand a big discount, or threaten to get eBay involved and negative feedback. That usually does the trick.

That is the driver's way of encouraging both parties to find an alternative shipping option for stuff too heavy to carry. I ordered a 200 pound generator a couple of weeks ago. Shipping to the house was an option (with the probable drop, smash, and roll transport method) but picking it up at the store meant it was loaded into my truck with a forklift and all the dropping and smashing was up to me on my end.

Hint - a hydraulic lift table is a wonderful tool for every guy that has a wife that can't lift 150+ pounds ;) https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html
Great looking tool.

The seller :
seller:jmsoundjoe

Finally answered me after my 3rd message. Told me i was a nuisance and accused me of dropping it.

I have pics of his oversized empty box. Im going to be sending it back tomorrow so look out for a c65 cheap for parts as is. Avoid this guy.

The seller is really begging for a negative feedback

Here is what he said :

New message from: jmsoundjoe (145)
Package was mishandled. Not one of my better packing jobs, but no way should it have been received in that condition. Low value sale, packing was adequate for weight.
I'm out about $300, so dry your eyes and once again, get lost

I would hang on to it until you get a reply from ebay. Let them settle the dispute, and send them copies of the email. Happened once to me. The seller was banned from ebay. I'm sure he came back with another user name, but it put a crimp on his business.

Packaging peanuts are of the devil.:mad: They get everywhere and, alone, can't protect heavy items.

Oh man, I wish I’d known this before you bought it. He’s part of a “consortium” of shit dealers in S. Cal. Some are gone now, but this guy has always had a ‘tude, and has somehow stuck around.

My son ordered Nakamichi 600 cassette deck as a father's day gift for me from Goodwill online. It was shipped in a regular weight cardboard box with no packing material at all. The plastic cover was in very small pieces and the faceplate was dinged, but somehow everything else was okay. He had to argue with Goodwill, but finally was given 40% off the price.

Happily, after replacing the drive wheel tire, cleaning and lubing, DeOxiting and reassembling it works quite well.

The experience has made me somewhat reluctant to buy anything remotely fragile from Goodwill.

And this thread causes me to feel the same way about Ebay.

If you put them in a couple of
Packaging peanuts are of the devil.:mad: They get everywhere and, alone, can't protect heavy items.

I've used them and beads but not loose.
Put them into a couple of plastic bags to ensure they don't split ,compress the air out of it they work perfectly for packing into odd holes as they don't move
Works a treat as they are pliable

I've used this to hold parts in place but the whole item was packed as l usually do.

Anything like an amp or other component will crush peanuts the first time it's dropped on them, and after that it's no longer immobilized, so the party's on. Rigid foam is the only thing I trust, with some heavy duty bubble wrap wrapped right around the unit first, if it's not god awful heavy enough to pop bubble wrap.

Wonder if the seller should be packed the same way. Know where to ship him to with that attitude.

I ship fedex all the time. If I take it to the fedex downtown city place, they will add red stickers with Up and Fragile to it to go with my magic marker arrow pointing and noted Up and the word DROP with a heavy line thru it. Sometimes I go to the fedex terminal but they don't have the stickers.
I insure some items depending on value, and they never question it? It's only a few bucks and you never know!

I received a Mac tuner packed by a UPS store and it arrived with a broken glass. They paid for the new glass and I installed it myself. It was a good solution, because I got a good price on it and I wasn't going to send it back! The packing job was crappy!

Oh man, I wish I’d known this before you bought it. He’s part of a “consortium” of shit dealers in S. Cal. Some are gone now, but this guy has always had a ‘tude, and has somehow stuck around.

Me too! Its already boxed exactly how he sent it to me with the label he sent me. Going back to him tomorrow.

Soon as i get back my refund he gets a nice - feedback.

8yrs on ebay i never gave anyone bad feedback but this guy has bad attitude

The few times I opened a dispute /return on eBay I could no longer leave feedback.

now that you say that it makes sense. I started a return "not as described damaged" on him and he closed it and asked ebay to step in and he then sent me the label to return it. so that is his way of escaping a negative

My son ordered Nakamichi 600 cassette deck as a father's day gift for me from Goodwill online. It was shipped in a regular weight cardboard box with no packing material at all. The plastic cover was in very small pieces and the faceplate was dinged, but somehow everything else was okay. He had to argue with Goodwill, but finally was given 40% off the price.

Happily, after replacing the drive wheel tire, cleaning and lubing, DeOxiting and reassembling it works quite well.

The experience has made me somewhat reluctant to buy anything remotely fragile from Goodwill.

And this thread causes me to feel the same way about Ebay.
I'm not sure I'd buy anything from online Goodwill! I'm sure everyone here knows about US Audio Mart. They offer lots of vintage gear, although not as much as you can find on eBay. I've had very good experiences with their sellers. The last piece I bought arrived, 2 Day FexEd and was packed double-boxed with all the right foam and packaging material. Better than I've ever seen! Shipped weight was 51lbs. And price is always negotiable. Transactions are more personal, as you work directly with the seller via email. They are a nice alternative.

I'm not sure I'd buy anything from online Goodwill! I'm sure everyone here knows about US Audio Mart. They offer lots of vintage gear, although not as much as you can find on eBay. I've had very good experiences with their sellers. The last piece I bought arrived, 2 Day FexEd and was packed double-boxed with all the right foam and packaging material. Better than I've ever seen! Shipped weight was 51lbs. And price is always negotiable. Transactions are more personal, as you work directly with the seller via email. They are a nice alternative.

ive been ripped off by a guy on usaudiomart and a guy on audiogon...you never can tell really.

Just had a retard seller wrap my drivers in his used bed sheets and had them loose bouncing around inside a box. I don't know if it's the hifi market but it seems like every other seller I buy something from is an incompetent dummy.

Attachments

• IMG_5045.JPG
    IMG_5045.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom