How expensive was your first car?

In 1966 I bought a 1952 American Pontiac Catalina 2 Dr Ht for $200 off of the original owner.It was a big L Head 6 Auto fully equipped with everything powered and had only 9000 Miles on it.It was like new! :)

1969 impala. Photo from web.
Mom and dad were separated and we needed another car so she bought this for 350 bucks. 350 with a 4V and turbo 350. When I punched it the tire didn't light up like I wanted so I decided it needed a little help. Got her going in reverse put it in neutral, rev the engine and drop into gear......Think it was the 5th time doing that and the spline shaft jumped and the rear of the tranny broke into pieces. My older brother thought I was an idiot and he was right. Oh, and how about those trunks. Friggin huge!!!
impala.jpg

Last edited:
1968 impala. Photo from web.
Mom and dad were separated and we needed another car so she bought this for 350 bucks. 350 with a 4V and turbo 350. When I punched it the tire didn't light up like I wanted so I decided it needed a little help. Got her going in reverse put it in neutral, rev the engine and drop into gear......Think it was the 5th time doing that and the spline shaft jumped and the rear of the tranny broke into pieces. My older brother thought I was an idiot and he was right. Oh, and how about those trunks. Friggin huge!!!
View attachment 1017823
Your pic shows a 69. ;)

Owned two VW Gti Mk1s.....never a serious problem with either[apart from having first one stolen]
Owned Danbury VW campervan......never a serious problem after renewing engine block on purchase
These three provided me with some of the grooviest times.VW in the UK are now overpriced and aiming for the upmarket in rivalry with Merc,BMW.....
The Golf R32 does however look tasty.....
No longer the 32 valve V6 so it’s just the R. The “same” 2.0L as my 2014 R-line Beetle makes 292hp vs my 200hp. I’d love to have those extra ponies. I wonder how much work the DSG took for the increase?

My first car was one I wished I had kept till now as I might be able to buy a house if I sold it..

1969 Plymouth Barracuda
440 6-Pack
Slap Hurst Shifter
Dual Thursh mufflers..pretty freakin' LOUD...
Craig slide-out cassette player :)

Man, sure wish I still had it believe me!!

$1500.00 from what I remember, which back in '74 was a chunk of change...

First car I bought with my own money was a 1957 Willys Wagon 4x4 cost me $750 and less then a month later the tranny and transfer case exploded and cost me another $500. 3 weeks later I rolled it into a gravel pit. Put me in the hospital for 3 nights and I had to part it out I broke even. Bought a 52 Chevy 3100 Custom Cab Pickup.

This is embarrassing: In 1979 an avocado green 74 Ford Pinto 2dr w/trunk. Puny 98cc engine the drank oil like it thought I was a Sheik. Standard transmission that took forever to get up to 60mph highway speeds. Bought it off my sister for $300. Believe it or not I traded it a year later for a 78 Maverick.

Wish I had bought my sisters next car, a 67 Dodge Valient w/slant 6 and a column shift. That thing would lay you back into the seat, it could accelerate so fast.

After the Maverick? A 76 Plymouth Fury III. Now that baby could move.

My '67 Valiant could never lay you back in the seat - did yours have the Hyperpak? Mine had the 170 cid engine with an auto trannie.

Yep, it had the hyperpak and it was a standard transmission, a column shift at that. That thing could really accelerate off the line, though I ever raced it, no...not me. Valients were popular cars back in the day as funnycar/dragsters.

1951 Vicky for $50 - flatty and three on the tree. Next was a 1955 Pymouth for $35 - flat head six and three on the tree. Swapped that one for a '54 Ford with OHV V8 and stick. The next one was pricey at $250 - '56 Ranch Wagon with 292 T-Bird V8 and three speed with OD, so it had the 4.11 rear end ( :D ).

a 1969 VW Bug, with a coffee can of "extra" nuts and bolts if I found any missing. $400

edit: bought in 1977, I graduated HS 1980. Even at 8 yrs old the bug was a POS, but it was my POS. We partied in it, off road in it and lost my ... in it too, on Duffy Road. lol

Last edited:
$1,400 for a former city-owned Cavalier. It was only about six years old but it had 150,000 miles on it. I assumed it was well maintained.

It was a good car. It got it through two years of college and I delivered pizzas in it for about nine months of that and another year after that and the only thing I had to do was the head gasket which a guy in the family did for about $50.

A bunch o' domestic V8s in here with a sprinkling of Beetles (or similar) in the mix. :idea:

Here's my rice burner, '86 Honda Accord DX, 5spd, base model, acquired for $3K. Sedan was a runner & flip-ups were a nice touch....reliable, got 230K+ out of her.

1986-1989_Honda_Accord_sedan_--_03-16-2012.JPG

Back
Top Bottom