How good are Class D amplifiers now?

I've followed this thread from the beginning and noticed that the interest in the classDaudio offerings has really cooled off over the last couple of years. This thread was going great guns for awhile but I suspect the dwindling interest may be due to cheaper and better sounding class d options. Before pulling the trigger make sure you're not investing in yesterday's technology.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=76400.0
That was a good link to read, and I agree that Class D has come a long way and now down in price as well - a bargain as far as I can see. Will definitely be experimenting with this in the near future.

I am actually afraid to look at much other than DIY. I have already justified (in my own mind) the cost of one of the NAD’s or Teacs instead of my time.

I'm assuming he knew what they held as it was his description. Did you follow the embedded link?
After seeing this picture on the AK site, I tracked down Fleawatt's web site and looked at all his other creations. Some beautiful work. I couldn't find the steam punk one though. Does anyone have more pictures of this from other angles?

The word "whimsical" in my post and quoted in post #126 is an embedded link. Click it!
Do you know if those are the power transformers on the top (left and right)? And the circuit board is the actual amp? I would love to see this up close! It's definitely a work of art.

Do you know if those are the power transformers on the top (left and right)? And the circuit board is the actual amp? I would love to see this up close! It's definitely a work of art.
Steve describes those as speaker inductors. You see nothing of the actual amp which lies hidden inside the box. Here's what a TPA3110 looks like:

tpa.jpg

Along with a power supply and connectors.

Last edited:
I can't speak for home audio, but when I built up my recent car audio system, I bought a 4x50w (RMS) Kenwood Class D amp, and it is tiny!! I used to have 4x60w Sherwoods that were very large, fan cooled, and difficult to mount due to their size. This little amp, I tucked inside the dash, which solved a lot of other problems for me. The crossovers for the front component speakers were actually larger than the amp. How does it sound? It does well enough--I certainly get little fatigue during long listening sessions. (Or to put it another way, I've heard worse amps in the car!) I don't think anything could come close to the Proton amps I used to run, but this little Kenwood certainly provides good, clean power.

Back
Top Bottom