How Good Is Akai?

Great gear -not sold in large amounts in the US but for some reason there is tons of it here in NZ. I have an AM-2450 (I think that's the number) - amplifier and it has 3 x TO-3P outputs per side - meaty and well-powered. Great build quality and sound quality. I'm still assessing whether to keep or toss mine, as I am selling most of my amps to pay for overpriced super-rare novelty amps that give me heaps of trouble, lols.

I think there's a ton of Akai gear here because it was assembled domestically under license, until the import duties were relaxed anyway. Of course I could be wrong and maybe it's just our proximity to the land of the rising sun :)

I've had several Akai turntables and currently the AP-Q41 is my daily driver. They were all nice decks, well made. I had a slightly lower opinion of a A-960 quad receiver though....

t's all subjective as to sound. I like those old Yamahas dearly, CR-1000 is my favourite, so crisp. I also have Sony STR-6065 from same period

Yes each to their own l say, that's what makes this hobby so interesting. I do like Yamaha (always have) and fully restored my CA-2010 but some can be a little uninvolving at times with little bottom end. I have had many early Sony's including an 1120A at present so l have experienced their sound.

I wonder if traces come off pcbs like letters from the frontplate

Not sure what pcb traces have to do with faceplate lettering? The Akai built quality is comparable to others, a Yamaha CA-800 is 13.5kg and an Akai AA-1040/1050 is 13kg.

[QUOTE="sssboa, post: 12311807, member: 217824] I just saw some insides of Akai AA-1050. Some units have transformers with coils sticking out as they do nowadays, I don't like it, some transformers buzz in vintage gear, never found it in Yamahas, most old Marantzes do buzz, and half Sonys. The build quality of Akai AA-1050 doesn't seem great overall. I wonder if traces come off pcbs like letters from the frontplate :) ? Also wonder if the relay is still available.[/QUOTE]

Just finished a full recap of an AA-1200... the PCB traces were fine (no issues). An Omron direct replacement fit fine. I just need to do some listening now.

78F210DB-F40D-476F-912E-0CE3F447E173.jpeg

But Akai AA-1050 is from around 1976-1978. This is what all other sources say but Akai fans at Audiokarma.
From 1973 is Akai AA-8080 which looks like 1960s Sansui and Akai AS-980 with blue lights. Also Yamaha CR-800 is from 1973 with the Yamaha/Akai looks. So who ripped who? :)

Yes the AA-10XX series started in 76 so the Yammy got the jump with that look, no doubt.
It could be that Akai ripped Yamaha but then Yamaha ripped Akai a bit cause AA-1050 was before CR-820 and these 2 look very much alike or maybe it was the general trend of the time. I would say Akai looks more generic.

It could be that Akai ripped Yamaha but then Yamaha ripped Akai a bit cause AA-1050 was before CR-820 and these 2 look very much alike or maybe it was the general trend of the time. I would say Akai looks more generic.

Yes could very well be. I can't really think of any other brands that used the flat knobs to the degree that these two did.

[QUOTE="sssboa, post: 12311807, member: 217824] I just saw some insides of Akai AA-1050. Some units have transformers with coils sticking out as they do nowadays, I don't like it, some transformers buzz in vintage gear, never found it in Yamahas, most old Marantzes do buzz, and half Sonys. The build quality of Akai AA-1050 doesn't seem great overall. I wonder if traces come off pcbs like letters from the frontplate :) ? Also wonder if the relay is still available.

Just finished a full recap of an AA-1200... the PCB traces were fine (no issues). An Omron direct replacement fit fine. I just need to do some listening now.

78F210DB-F40D-476F-912E-0CE3F447E173.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

Do you know if AA-1050 accepts the same relay?

I have a beautifull AT-2600 tuner that I won't part with. It has great reception and that is without the mod. :)

Do 1970s Akai receivers sound warmer than integrated as it is with some other brands?
Say Akai AA-1050 vs AM-2800?

If the Akai receivers are built like my Akai 8-track I would like to have one from the same time period.

P3060001.JPG

I lost bidding for AM-2800
Thinking about AA-1050
Hard to find anything negative about AA-1050.
Though I wonder how they did it.

The count of semiconductors for Yamaha CR-800 2 x IC, 3 x MOSFET, 98 x transistors, 60 x diodes, 6 x zener diodes

for Akai AA-1050 3x IC, 49 x transistors, 25 x diodes

The boards do not look imposing either, the power supply and main amp for both channels. For AM-2800 it's all integrated and the power part looks very similar to this one.

IMG_5650-500x500.JPG IMG_5651-500x500.JPG

Last edited:
I have AA-1050. I done total maintenance. Changed all electrolytic caps, differential transistors, done bias and offset adjustments. It sounds great. After audition my 1050, one of my friend got 1040, he have class A Pass F6 amp and he says 1040 almost beats that one soundwise.. another one grab 1020.. It sounds perfect...

I have AA-1050. I done total maintenance. Changed all electrolytic caps, differential transistors, done bias and offset adjustments. It sounds great. After audition my 1050, one of my friend got 1040, he have class A Pass F6 amp and he says 1040 almost beats that one soundwise.. another one grab 1020.. It sounds perfect...
OK, thx for this info. I've just bought AA-1050.
Would you tell me which transistors you replaced and what you used?
Maybe you have a capacitors list too? Do you remember the diameter of the 10,000uf caps? 40mm?
I wonder if this relay is good as a replacement
https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/MY4-02-DC24/Z2634-ND/369710/?itemSeq=281148562

Last edited:
Preamp section have sc458 transistors. These are extremely noisy. Replaced those with ksc1845, hfe matched between channels. Power amp input differential transistors replaced with ksa992, match hfe for these ones too. amp section input capacitors changed with 1uf wima polyester caps.

I don't have a list for caps. Basically I replaced all lythics. Bumped capacitance for filter caps to 15000uf. Diameter is 40mm. I used Kemet ALT22A153DE063.

Mine does not have relay for protection.

Back
Top Bottom