How good is the Onkyo A-10

msh1999

there is one for sale atm but im not sure if untill i will get my answer it still for sale but its worth asking...

did anyone here compared this onkyo to other amps by a chance?
if so please tell me your thougts on it.

Speaking as an A-7 owner, depending on price and condition, as Blue Shadow mentioned... should be a no-brainer.

A-10s don't come along that often, can always resell and recoup if not your cup of tea. :thumbsup:

I use the A-10 as my main amp, completely re-caped, sounds awesome. Have the matching T-9 to go with it.
The Phone mm/mc are very, very good. Go get they are hard to come by. Good luck!!

Power: Marantz 4270,Marantz 2220,2245,MODEL26,MODEL22,ONKYO A-10,Onkyo TX3000:SANSUI 5000x, G8700DB:KENWOOD KR-4600,DYNAKIT ST-70,Onkyo power amp.
Sources: , JVC QL-A7, Technics SL-D20,SL-BD-35,DUAL 1219,Elac Miracord 10,Denon DP-23F,JVC-F31,Kenwood KD-3070,Hitachi HT-45, PD-F-1007,MSB-LinkI DACw/MonarchyDIP, DenonAVP5000PreAmp,ONKYOT-9 Tuner
Speakers: Pioneer CS-63DX, Dynaco A25,Advent Original Large, The Fisher 105, EPI M10, Klipsch KG4,Boston Acoustic A70,A150,AR4x, AR-2a,KLH-6,KLH-17,Pioneer CS-99.

omg i cant believe what just happened, i pressed the "buy it now" half asleep,:yikes:
though i still need to get total price from the seller which suppose to be exactly 300 euros,

I guess that 300 is pretty high but it should be with oversea shipping so I guess that it is very nice deal (hopefully the seller wont say other price on the shipping suddenly, if he will do so i wont make the deal for sure).
wish me luck:oops:

it looks in such a good condition
DSC09612.JPG
DSC09611.JPG
DSC09615.JPG

The best thing I can say about the A-10 is that it doesn't sound like anything else.
Not warm like a Marantz
Not sterile like a Yamaha
Not bright like a Pioneer
Probably one of the closest you will find to "a wire with gain". What you feed in comes out louder, period. Will have you taking a closer look at your sources and speakers.

Very nice, "under the radar", piece of gear.

I have a friend with a Onkyo A-10. They're built like a tank. Reliability wise it's been pretty good, a local AKer looked at it and it only had dirty controls and a couple bad Sanyo capacitors.

I have an A10. It is my main amp to use for vinyl listening. Very clear and neutral, built like a tank. I will never part with it.

thanks for comments guys

I guess it was too early to "celebrate"... the service he can send the amp with will make me pay extra texas so buying this amp atm will be way out of my price range.
there is still chance as long as he will offer other service though

I admit I still haven't bought the amp, but I still have a chance before the seller cancel the purchase.

I got a question that will have big effect on my decision...
will it make sense to connect "modern" tube pre-amp to the onkyo? because from what it look like the A10 is very natural and its powerful, which means that it might work out pretty well with tubes as well.

please help me on this one guys

No way to know if it would sound good except to do it but I'd guess there isn't much reason it wouldn't sound good so it's worth a shot for sure. I hope you can work something out with the seller, good luck :)

I recappd/upgraded one recently, one of the best integrated amps I have heard, I prefer it to a Krell 300 I have- and wmgwizard has it right- unlike the rest- buy it if you can

I recappd/upgraded one recently, one of the best integrated amps I have heard, I prefer it to a Krell 300 I have- and wmgwizard has it right- unlike the rest- buy it if you can
krell KSA300 or KAV300? :)
and why did you like more?

A KAV 300i- The onkyo had a more "open" dynamic sound, plenty of detail and a good transient response-for me the Krell has always sounded a little too clinical, good detail, but without that open dynamic transient response-

that said I did replace all the electo's in the A10 (except for the main power supply large caps and swapped some lower values electros in the signal path for WIMA film

A KAV 300i- The onkyo had a more "open" dynamic sound, plenty of detail and a good transient response-for me the Krell has always sounded a little too clinical, good detail, but without that open dynamic transient response-

that said I did replace all the electo's in the A10 (except for the main power supply large caps and swapped some lower values electros in the signal path for WIMA film
I almost came here to say that I think I wont buy it because it will cost me 480erou in total to bring it to my door.

but comparing it to the krell stoped me, I didn't thought the onkyo could be that high level.

how much the recapping costed (the parts)
and do you have a thread somewhere of the upgrade you did?

I regularly upgrade Onkyo A7's when I can find them, (there is one on EB at present)- the parts cost is probably only $30 ish- I will tr y an put a list as a blog entry at www.quirkaudio.com, my website

Krell I find to be too detail extreme oriented for my taste. The Onkyo A-10 for me is the best amplifier they built sound wise, and it's well built. A winner.

Old thread, but my two cents, as I have now had mine for over a year. I absolutely love this peice of gear. I swapped out my 9090db Sansui receiver, and though it's rated at less power, it still has plenty of grunt for the L-100 and 4313 monitors they are pushing. The power bulb is out on mine, but other than that, it's pretty clean. It's a heavy amp, and it's built like a tank. I love the huge volume knob. Hard NOT to crank it. The faceplate on this thing is almost a 1/4" thick. And with dual power supplies, it stands alone in this series from Onkyo. Onkyo gear from this era in time, is quality stuff. I have a TX-6500MKII, TX-2500, and a TX-4500. The phono stages on the 2500 and 4500 are some of the best made, at that time.

The A-10 is one of the few pieces over the years that I regret letting go.

Good looks, top notch build quality and great sound, what more could you ask for.

Hope you get years of enjoyment from yours !!!

Back
Top Bottom