How has AK helped you lately?

Ok SD, you kept that one in, I didn't know anything about that. You do have my support totally though and I'll be there for you if you want to talk.

Condolences, and God rest her soul.
Thanks to all.She was a young 53 and when you lose someone before their time it's hurts all the more.She was quite ill and is in a better place now.As much as I'd rather have her here I don't have to sneak gear in anymore.She would see me bring something in and say "another stereo", nodding her head.

I went through a painful period recently...lost my wife of 35 years.AK and audio in general is what helped me get through it.You gravitate to your other deep interests to cope.

Another here who is very sorry to hear this. May you remember the good times with joy in your heart.

Touching on what SD said, I found solace here with the passing of my father in '15. Again, when I had to put down my dog in '16.

I have but 2 real life "friends". Lots of acquaintances, chums, and general pals, but only 2 real friends.

This online forum means the world to me. Yesterday, I had to block an AK'er, FIRST and only time I've threatened to do this, and I hated it. Actually, still haven't done it, but likely will .
THAT is how much I value the people I meet here in the digital domain. Makes no difference if we never meet in real life. Their experiences are in many ways my own.

I remember rooting on Dr. Biggles with his two epic restorations (the Wreckedilinears, and those curb find Altec 19's). I remember feeling terrible when Mulester7's daughter told us the news about Ronnie, same with Merrylander's wife of many years, recently Jaymanna, on and on. When people "scroe", I am happy for them.

We are brethren (and sistren? is that a word, lol?). Love you guys (and gals, Franny, Heather, et al).

Ak members span the spectrum from ultra conservative to screaming on the edge of the audiophile envelope. Its nice to know I'm in the middle some where. Oh I am extreme when it comes to certain ideas and ultra conservative when it comes to others. But I still think of myself as being in the middle on the balance . The equipment I own I chose first for dependability and close behind meeting my performance standards. It just happens that it gains in value as time moves on. And with many other owners out there feeling the same way all my pieces are still serviceable. Thanks to folks like Terry and the guys at Audio Classics.

I had found a very nice looking Technics 630T cassette deck at a local thrift last spring. I had initially bought it for parts, but in opening it up, I was very impressed with its build. Everything worked mechanically, so I dropped in a test cassette (Christmas music), plugged it into my amp and started it up. Output was an warbling squealing sound with one of the meters pegging. I talked to my tech about it, but he has no real knowledge of cassette decks so he passed on looking at it. I put it away until this fall, when I was reading a thread here on AK in the Tape Forum. On that thread, someone was complaining of a problem that sounded suspiciously like mine. The fix was to spray deoxit into a slider switch in the record section. I tried it, and sure enough, it fixed the problem!

That is my most recent example.

Helps me waste some time, but in a good way. Bought some stuff from Barter Town. Gave me inspiration to update and repair some old beloved Hafler stuff I built from kits in 1981. Got to know Dave Gillespie and Magnavox tube amps. Lotsa fun along the way.

It's helped me look at the world differently, it's very small. I'm with Tim, @onwardjames, this place is family and friend and we care about each other. Sure we all don't get along with everyone and not everyone is here for the same reasons but the majority of the members are good people.

The music forum posts. I find new music there often. I particular like the genre specific threads. The only negative for me is the same entry in a half-dozen threads. It shouldn't bother me but it does.
I also was persuaded to give streaming a try, and it has been a fantastic tool for checking out new bands.

Agreed! and love your new finds on the neo-psych thread.

I asked for a source for grill pegs for a pair of speakers I scored. Someone offered to simply send me some. He wouldn't even let me pay shipping.

I went through a painful period recently...lost my wife of 35 years.AK and audio in general is what helped me get through it.You gravitate to your other deep interests to cope.

I'm so sorry to hear that Superdog.

AK allows for loose friendships to happen. I know of our shared love of the Yamaha RX-V series. So news like this from someone I never would have known before makes that world a little bit smaller.

Similarly when @reydelaplaya was suffering through the hurricane and aftermath down in Puerto Rico.

Music discovery is one of the main things here. I'd love to hear EVERYBODY'S system on AK, from humble to "Whoa, daddy!"

I don't know which is better, finding new music or having folks discover yours!

Back
Top Bottom