How Hot Is It?

Japan is having a rough time of it at the moment with the heat, not helped by flooding due to extreme rainfall as well!

And here in the UK we have had serious moorland wild fires to deal with, which required the deployment of our armed forces to get under control. I think the fires are out now thank goodness.

It is a shame that I missed to mention Japan, thanks, John. Many many people lost their life over there due to extreme weather conditions in the recent days.

Sarge and I had to drive to Temecula this morning. We got down into an area called Rainbow Canyon, which is deeply inset into thick chaparral. We came around a turn, and there was a water dropping helicopter making a giant sweeping upward turn after having just dropped a load on a fire that we were just now seeing come into view a couple of hundred feet ahead of us. We got a wet windshield as a result.
There was a strike team up ahead of the fire cutting brush, and trying to create a fire break. Somehow, out of the blue, a Marine (soldier) snapped into action, and started blocking traffic from our direction, and getting us turned around from the fire. We were first in line at getting turned around.
The chaparral at this point, which is what was burning, is fully 30' deep, and too thick to walk thru. I'm glad it was as easy as just turning around and heading back up canyon to get away from it.
What was silly about this, is that there were two fire trucks a couple of miles back up the road, at the main intersection where you either commit to the freeway, or, to the canyon road. They could have turned us around at that point. Nope. They were letting traffic thru even as we got back to them, including semi trucks that were far too large to turn around on the narrow winding canyon road.

this my fire story for this day, July 25, 2018 AM

It's so hot.... I set the house on fire just to cool down a bit.

It's so hot.... I fried an egg in the freezer

It's so hot... ummmmmm The camels are thirsty.

lost count of the cow milk thats gone off in my fridge . all i can put it down to is constantly adding warm beers to the fridge ... going to enjoy a nights cool sleeping very soon . it is going to be very hot a few hours after i wake up .. compared to 1976 this year beats it already .

The only lawns in our neighbourhood that are still at least a bit green are ours. Our water bill will be immense. The blackbirds love to hop across the moist soil (in the morning and evening) and to pick into the grass. They leave tiny holes which is a sort of verticulation - and the soil can take the water easier and more effective. When I shot this picture a moment ago, there was only one blackbird.Sometimes there are a dozen of them at the same time.

However- the time for lawns in our garden has obviously been running out. Summer heat from April until September will become normal in the next decades.

001.JPG

The UK's hottest day of the year so far, recorded yesterday at 35.1°C, it is expected that the all time UK record of 38.5°C (101.3°F) will be broken very soon. (maybe today).

Some places in the UK haven't had rain for 50 days.

Not that I'm complaining, but for the most part, it has been unseasonably cool here. We've only had a couple days in the 90s so far this summer. The next several days are barely supposed to pass 70 for a high.:dunno:

Ugh - just got back from an animal tracking survey in Sycamore Canyon, which is in the inland area of San Diego.

No breeze, no clouds, no shade for the length of the survey; it was 102F, and I downed about a gallon of water from 8am to noon. It was *brutal*.

storm is trying to brew here .. am hoping for plenty of rain before the wind . these large trees need water to soften them up some .

102 today, but that's normal. At least the humidity is low.
Mid-September, when the highs drop to the low-mid 90's, is our "early fall".

Stayed in Arizona for 7 months. Never had so many sinus problems. You guys can keep the dry heat. Was never so glad to feel humidity. Oh and that Colorado River tap water sucks.

It was so hot when I went fishing yesterday, that when I went to put the first fish I caught in the cooler, five more jumped in after him.

Flirting with100F here (Central Vancouver Island) for about the sixth straight day. To top that off, I have a nasty flu which is causing me to sweat even more than usual, and I don't even have the strength to wander down to the lake and throw myself in. Oh well, at least there are no fires in the immediate vicinity (knocks on very dry wood).

It's so hot that I actually keep thinking about going swimming, only to wake up with the disappointing realization that it was just another fever dream.

Last edited:
rained here for a while and cooled it down a fair bit .. now a cool 14.4c outside .. had gas blow heating on for a while now . makes a change from 30c temp with doors and windows open 24/7 to all doors and windows closed needing a bit of heating .

Back
Top Bottom