How I found AudioKarma... rambling verion

Alan D

It all began a month ago when I was looking for a stereo receiver
for our bedroom. Looked at all etailers web sites for one, Almost
all of the new affordable gear has lousy radio tuners, freq resp
of around 40hz to 20khz. Overblown RMS specs.

Got to thinking I'll check ebay out cautiously for a new receiver...

Got to thinking, Man I wish they still made the nice brushed aluminum fronts with the Blue Radio Displays. I always loved
the Blue Displays since I was a kid. Even blue Christmas lights are
my favorite.

Searched for 2 channel stereo receivers on ebay and Bam!!!
Couldn't believe there is so much of this stuff still available.

Alot of really neat gear in all sorts of condition.... I recently snagged a Pioneer SX-770 in really super condition. So now
I have an Marantz and Pioneer which I both use and really like.

So I figured with the amount of stuff for sale there has got to
be a forum with folks who are into this. Typed in Vintage audio
forum and AudioKarma came up as a result. Been reading here
ever since.

I'm knocked out by the friendliness of the members in their posts
and communication. I'm really knocked out by the knowledge that members have with vintage equipment.

I'm really KNOCKED OUT by the quality and amount of equipment
that alot of you have.. WOW.

Really enjoy this forum.

Alan D.

P.S. Am I alright that now I keep thinking about Vintage Equipment and wanting to buy it? Its almost like an addiction
or game, but I just started to get hooked..... Am I still normal??...... I'll check back later, got to go to the ebay minefield......

Welcome Alan D :bigok:
Yes, your right - it is a horrible addiction. The only cure is to ship every piece of gear you buy to Bigmacc for safe keeping. No joke, it works - just ask him :D

-Dave

Alan D
Don't worry about being addicted to vintage audio gear. I am proud to say I am. What's really cool about the vintage stuff though, is you can buy just about whatever you want to mix and match, and if you don't like it, you sell it to someone else here, or swap it here, or sell it on eBay and usually make all your money back. My point is, try doing that with the new black plastic equipment! Vintage audio gear is where it's at! Welcome aboard!

Retro Stereo

Alan,

Welcome! Compared to most everybody else on this board I'm a newbie myself but feel right at home at AK. You've already gotten a little taste of the amount of talent, knowledge, and expertise that abounds on AK. I've only been a member for a few months but have learned loads of information. It's an exciting hobby that your ears will truly appreciate.

-jb

Welcome all newbies! :) This has to be one of the friendliest audio forums you'll find anywhere. You'll find a lot of folks here willing to give advice or make suggestions when asked. I check in several times a day. It is addictive...but in a good way.

Oh Boy!!!!!..WE got us another one!!!!!......I thought I was bad......Alan ..your gonna have fun here!!!....

The audio bug bitcha right in the @$$ ........your gonna be here every night till the ole lady starts complaining about it......your gonna' be thinkin about postin' on your way home from work... and when your supposed to be out shovelin' the drivway...and if your from down south or west.......trimming the cacti!!!........yup ...your bit.......you know what the best part is???????its FUN!!!!!!!:D

Well it looks like I have a lot of good company in this forum.

A bunch of fine folks who are proud of their addiction,( I
mean hobby).

I've got close friends who could darn well afford, but dont have
any good equipment. One uses a panasonic boom box in the
family room, you get the picture.

I'm not knocking them, but you can tell that they just don't get
it. I mean how much we enjoy it.

They enjoy hearing my stuff but never heard them say, " I got
to get me something like this". Maybe they just don't do it
because they aren't sure what is good or what they might need.
(Fear Factor?)

But we were all new to this at one time. I don't have any regrets.
Its been personally rewarding to me in my life. I never once thought, man I feel like I'm wasting my money. You only live once.

Alan D

Welcome Alan,

I don't know about others, alot of people would rather watch TV. Music moves me like nothing else does. Maybe it doesn't do that to other people.

My story is similar to yours in many respects. I found this place through doing some internet homework on a new set of speakers. I never knew I could "refoam" a speaker or clean the pots on an amp. Now I've built a kit preamp, replaced capacitors, gotten high (or at least a headache) on solder fumes, etc.

But more importantly then all that. THE MUSIC SOUNDS GOOD.

Gotcha!!!!

Snagged another one Verne.....thing we'll get any wimen??? I havent listen to so much music and dvd's since they gave me a set of speakers!!!!..."If a man hasnt got horns what has he got?"...................Enjoy your Music!!!!!..........................Kenny

Welcome to the AK family.Your name alone will give you status and recognition.

Best regards

Alan

Hey,we both spell it the same way,when people ask if i spell it with two Ls,I tell them no,I was born Premature.The response is usually "Huh"

Back
Top Bottom