how is this for a CD changer?

Wow!!! That's the exact model Sony I found in the garbage the last Saturday. Very nice sounding CD Changer. A little noisy when it rotates around if it doesn't play the next CD. I don't even have enough CD's to fill it yet...lol.

Why not just use a computer based setup with a lossless format such as FLAC, or if you odn't care about quality, use MP3?

Originally posted by JeffL
Why not just use a computer based setup with a lossless format such as FLAC, or if you odn't care about quality, use MP3?

I guarantee a well ripped MP3 would sound just as good as anything coming out of POS sony cd players :rolleyes:

Originally posted by THOR
I guarantee a well ripped MP3 would sound just as good as anything coming out of POS sony cd players.

And your choice of CD player would be what???

None I don't believe in physical media ;) You gonna claim those sony CD jukebox players sound great you go right ahead, like I said very clever implementation but a thorough waste of time space, money you name name it, could be done way easier, cheaper, more user friendly and sound as good if not better.

Thor, Have you ever heard one of those Sony CDP-CX151's? They are a pretty decent player. I doubt I would buy one, but for free it's one hell of a player.

Yes, sounds like a CD player ;) Definetely worth finding. TT guys, RTR fellas and folks that got high end transports and DACs and tube CD players can all make claims I can't argue with as far as sound since I have never heard them but a run of the mill CD player playing a CD sounds no different to my ears than a well ripped MP3 at the proper bitrate ;)

No, I'm not going to claim that any jukebox style CD player sounds good to me, nor will I claim that a run of the mill player sounds good either, they don't. I just wondered if your "POS Sony" statement encompassed all Sony CD players or what. You answered my question, danke. :)

just wondering why you dont rip using some lossless codec, or even just straight into wav's thor?

cheers,
Colin

Thor what bitrate do you use to encode? Even at 192 I think mp3's sound pretty poor in comparison to other physical formats (like CD and vinyl). I'm also kinda surprised you don't use a lossless format like FLAC which was mentioned above....there's another popular lossless format that I know of the name escapes me at this moment.

I don't rip or encode I got all my MP3's the old fashoined way ;) I always try to get the highest bitrate I can find but never below 128, when looking for a song I dl as many versions as I can then listen to them with my Grado SR60's and keep the highest bitrate version that is clean.

I got into MP3's back in the old Napster days, I had 300+ CD's back then and one of those 100 disc CD players. I heard no difference between my CD's and the songs I was getting off Napster and I was just taken with the ease of use of winamp and playlists and the ease of finding a specific song when requested. I spent a weekend and dl'ed off Napster all the songs that I had wanted on my CD's and the next day I sold all my CD's for about 50 cents each at a pawn shop and have never looked back.

I have probably had 200+ folks listen to my stereo in all it's various forms since moving to MP3 and NEVER has a one of them ever said "you're playing MP3's aren't you? I can tell the difference from when I listen to this same song on CD" ;) I am sure a lot of this is attibutable to my music tastes as well I am sure the MP3 format is much kinder to rock like AC/DC than it is to contempary Jazz tunes ;)

Back in the day I don't believe there was a lossless codec and wavs were too big, back then if you had a 20gig HD you were big pimpin'. Nowadays a lossless format or wavs are much more doable but how am I gonna replace my 4000+ MP3's with those same songs in a lossless format :confused:

When you burn a CD, it takes the MP3, then converts it to CDA then burns it to your blank CD, or you can do MP3 to MP3. Some programs like Winamp I believe will convert your CD to MP3 for saving on your HD. I'm not familiar with the "no-loss" codec but I'm sure there would be a program to take your MP3 then convert it to that format, then save it to your HD. Worse case scenario, you take your MP3's burn them to CD's then convert them to your HD in the newer format. If I knew exactly what this "no-loss" format was I could check up on it.

Problem is ..the MP3 is already compressed..into one tenth of its orginal size...@128 kbs....90% is thrown away....

If you take that MP3 ...and convert it back into WAV or something else...its still a one tenth copy of the original...even though you are re-encoding it back into a WAV or another format.....

Here's a link to the LPAC format.link

If you must get by with MP3's my advice would be to get the CD's free from the library then rip them to MP3 using the LPAC format. Any sort of compression is bad for sound quality.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom