How long have you had your oldest (in your possession) component/speaker?

Ds2000

The fi must be higher.
Subscriber
This was brought upon by my brother in-law finding the pair of speakers I had in high school, and used until around 1988. They were 5 bucks and I Used them as Guinea Pigs for driver/type mods and swaps. This last one had stuffed the port and sealed the opening with glass slides (lol). I will re-do them over time and restore them to their original ported design. Didn't even know they were still around. Note: the white silicone was a seal for cat claw holes in the foam. I'll replace the surrounds in the RS woofers, and likely sell them as vintage and get all new woofs and update/upgrade the crossovers. I'll need a new tweet dustcap too or just find new phenolic tweets.
IMG_2816.JPG IMG_2817.JPG IMG_2818.JPG
To be clear, I mean the item in your possession which you’ve had the longest, and also still have.

Last edited:
Technics SL-QL1 turntable, bought new in 1983, still in use.
Infinity RSM speakers, bought new in 1983. Recently replaced by it's bigger brothers from the same time period, the RS II's.

OH--a JC Penney cheapie 3201 "fm/am stereo tuner amplifier" (big name for a small tiny power receiver) that is hooked to a light timer and is used as my alarm clock, used almost daily since bought new in 1976.

DCM Time Window 3's. Purchased in 1992 and in continuous service until three years ago. Still have them!

Longest owned, still in use: Technics SL-D3 TT bought new in 1980.
Longest owned, not currently in use: Pioneer PL-12D TT bought used in 1976

Grado headphones and a couple cartridges purchased new around 1985 or 86. I think I still have the woofers, tweeters.and x-overs from a diy speaker kit bought from McGee Radio about that time.

Oldest component----my beloved Yamaha T-2 tuner. Powered on for tens of thousands of hours.
My Bryston 3B and Linn/Ittok are very close behind.
Original to me KEF 103/3s get a workout daily.

I have and still use my JBL L112`s that were purchased on Jan.24th 1981 for $879,00 + tax. Also have my Technics SL-D3 turntable and Hitachi SR-904 receiver that were bought in 1980 and are used in my daughters system in her bedroom.

I'm young, so this isn't all that impressive, however it's still a fact. It'll get more impressive as I get older. We keep stereo/surround stuff around for a long time around here; my dad still has all of his college system (except for a couple of broken CD players and tape decks).

The oldest "decent" stereo stuff I have is my Bose Mediamates (I got those in 2004 I think), which are still in use as they travel with me on vacation just about every trip. Those are sticking around until they die because they are perfect for travel (and then I'll probably buy another pair).

The oldest serious stereo stuff I have is my Yamaha RX-V671 and Klipsch Sub12HG (2011). Those are also still in constant use (mainly as part of my main surround system). The rest of the system, a pair of Klipsch B20s and a Toshiba DVD player, are still around as well. The DVD player is in storage (although I still use it as a CD player for testing sometimes), while my brother is using the B20s.

My oldest component still in use, in the living room, are my danish Avance Alpha-speakers from 1989. I've owned them since brand new, costed 500$ a pair back in 1989 which was very cheap for their perfomance. Mostly use them for home theater nowadays, as I listen to music elsewhere.
They still sound extremely good, it's a 2.5-way speaker with a 6.5" mid-bass in it's own enclosure, a back-vented 8" sub-bas and a 1.2" tweeter. All Vifa-elements with cast cages and large magnets. Box is in double-layered MDF and baffle is in a thick composite. I had to replace the 8" woofers some 10 years ago because the foams had rotted. I could have had them refoamed but instead I upgraded to a better Seas-bass with similar parameters(and rubber around the cone). It worked really well because of the 2.5-way design with a low crossover frequency for bass, not risking any coloration of midrange by compromising the design. The Seas-element goes noticeably deeper in the bass, which is surprising since the original bass had -3db at 35Hz!
I had a pair of Infinity RS3a before those Avances and the Avances are better in most regards except maybe maximum SPL, they are much smaller and have higher WAF :)

The oldest component I use, which haven't been mine from the beginning, is my Technics SL-3210 from 1978. Still works as brand new, solid turntable, only mod is soldering better cables for it.

My Audionics of Oregon PZ3 have had since mid 1980's and still going strong. Speaker wise the Mission 765i Towers have had since the late 80's and still sound really nice, though, in secondary status since I got my ADS L1090's about a month ago. Luckily I have both systems running and go back and forth between them thoroughly satisfied.

Opus

Well,,,all my previous gear was destroyed in a fire when lightning hit our house back in '04,,,sooooo...

I'd hafta say 12 years old almost to the day.

Items bought to replace other gear:
JVC RX-318bk 2ch. Reciever.
Audiosource EQ100.
Cerwin Vega E-712.
Sony MDR-7506 headphones.
TDK HP100 headphones (these were for a laptop that I no longer have).
And I built another desktop PC as my primary source,parts of which are still around & in use today,just not the case.

FWIW

Bret P.

I've had my Empire 598MKII for 42 years now. Still works pretty good, tho I am thinking about a new arm for it (Jelco SA-250)

I have lots of other vintage stuff, but I picked them up used.

One of my Van Alstine amp and preamp are 19 years old.

Revox died last year (caught on fire).

... One of my Van Alstine amp and preamp are 19 years old. ...

Only 19 years old? I have AVA gear that's older than that. I built an Omega III kit into my PAT-5 chassis in 1996, if memory serves, and bought an Omega II 240 in a new old stock ST-150 chassis in late 1992. They both work flawlessly and sound good enough that I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Revox died last year (caught on fire).
Wow really? The only gear I ever had make actual fire was an SAE 2600 while playing "Another brick in the wall, pt III" during a college age party in my first apartment to myself. Man at 110W or so of output (by the meter reading) the L channel let go. Super fireworks came out of the vents, and I then only had a R channel. Impressive!

Bought new in 1991ish, my Bose Acoustimass AM5 series II satellite/module, has been in constant use in my system for now about 25 years. While the satellites were taken out of service and stored last year when I built my new speakers, the bass module is still connected to 'B' on my CR-1020 so I can 'A+B' some extra bass when I want.

am5_ii_black_large.jpg

Still have the original Bose floor stands and the Bose wall mounts, too.

74F8AA3B-8BDF-4301-BD49-1C6B3BBC9ECF_zpsvyo9r7qk.png

While my more mature ear can easily hear the shortcomings of these speakers, they've been at the heart of my system and trouble free for the entire time I've had them.

Also pictured are a pair of Polk Monitor 2s I've had for just as long. Originally serving duty as my rear channel in my HT setup from then, they have recently been dusted off yet again to resume the position.

Back
Top Bottom