How long have you had your oldest (in your possession) component/speaker?

Just have it, doesn't need to be in current rotation.
Some people have managed to keep satisfying components around for an impressively long time. I'm afraid my oldest is an OmegaStar Pat-5 that I bought used from Audio by Van Alstine twelve years ago. It replaced a Linn LK1 I had used for about 18 years that developed a control board fault. Due to its age at the time, my LK1 was no longer supported by Linn for repairs, but I've been more than happy with the AVA unit. When it dies, as all things do, I'm sure I'll be looking to AVA first for repair or replacement.

I got back into audio about 4 years ago after many years without, 1st cool item, and still a daily driver McIntosh Mac 4100.

1940s possibly early early 50s (cannot date it, if anyone could help it'd be appreciated), Kuba telefunken tube console made in west germany, I've had it two days and spent 4 hours polishing the laquer it was covered in grime and god knows what else and my long sometimes infuriating work on it is finally done, just gorgeous, f&$%ing gorgeous the wood grains lead me to believe it's possibly a teak wood build, it's definitely hardwood and even has brass components and go ahead and run into it you'll break your foot before you hurt this 100lb beast haha

Attachments

• IMAG1152.jpg
    IMAG1152.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMAG1159.jpg
    IMAG1159.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG1156.jpg
    IMAG1156.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG1148.jpg
    IMAG1148.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMAG1158.jpg
    IMAG1158.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 15
IMG_5273.JPG Bought this new in 1981. Still have it but it has problems. Need to get them sorted out. It was my first real stereo. Here is a stock photo. Will get photos soon.It came with a tuner , cassette deck and speakers. Really wish I would have kept the speakers. They were pretty sweet and can not remember the model # and I ended up giving them away.
IMG_5264.JPG

Right channel is out. Back on the shelf for now

Last edited:
Hrmm... I think my NHT 2.5i speakers. I think I bought them in 1997. Might have been 1996.

I've swapped other speakers in and out from time to time and I've had at least two systems set up for most of that time, but they've been in near constant use and are still going strong. I've used them for audio only and for A/V use. I just swapped them from the music system to the AV system earlier this week.

Bought this new in 1981. Still have it but it has problems. Need to get them sorted out. It was my first real stereo. Here is a stock photo. Will get photos soon.It came with a tuner , cassette deck and speakers. Really wish I would have kept the speakers. They were pretty sweet and can not remember the model # and I ended up giving them away.
View attachment 842882
in 1981 i was told by a audiophile to buy the Nad 3020 amp......instead i bought a Hitachi receiver....the best move i could have made...had a fine tuner....phono stage....and an amp section that worked with every speaker i had on hand....passed it on to a nephew.....still rockin!

Noticed they were sold as I was pondering.
Ahh, well, I would be open parting with them..cool speakers with an even cooler history. They were bought out of Tom Cochrane's studio.
I ended up with some Talons that I am liking as keepers..can only justify 1 set.
I will start a conversation..

I still have my first audio purchase, a 1977 Concept 2.0. I saved forever to afford this $237 receiver and I was making $2.65/hr. at the time! The pre amp gave out but I have it stashed away for a future rebuild...

Three items come to mind, all still in use. After these there's a big gap, either in manufacture date or acquisition date. Nothing else I currently own was acquired before 1995.

A pair of The Advent Loudspeakers (1972)
Teac 3300 tape deck (1972)
Technics SL-1300 turntable (1975)

Attachments

• DSCN0698 small.JPG
    DSCN0698 small.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Continuing from Post # 42, the Sansui SPL 150 Speakers (average sound) have been recapped. Each box has one Tweeter and one Bass driver. The original x-over consists of a pair of polarized electro caps wired in series to make a bipolar cap which is wired in parallel to a Mylar cap.
After calculating the resulting values, I replaced each "electro/Mylar" combo with a single Dayton 1% Polyproplyene cap. So, from 6 caps per speaker box, there are now only 2.
After approx 15 hours run time, the Dayton caps opened up and the BOTL "SPL 150" is sounding better than when it was new. The clarity in mid/high and the lowered low extension make this a very pleasant speaker to listen to for long hours.

A pair of Cerwin Vega S-1 speakers i bought in 1979 and a realistic sta-2080 that i bought in i believe 1980.

Good one. We still own equipment from the late 60's early 70's. Also own many pieces of Heathkit gear some of it still in use knock on wood. We got so much enjoyment assembling all the gear and music (records cassettes even 8 tracks) it is next to impossible to get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom