How long have you had your oldest (in your possession) component/speaker?

My trusty old Pioneer SX-626 receiver I bought in 1973 while in High School half with paper route money, half borrowed from my parents. I told them it was a wise purchase as it should last a long time. I have only had to replace two electrolytic caps in it! It's out of rotation, last usage was in my work office for about 5 years. The rest of the system was a Garrard TT which was replaced in the late 70's with a nice Pio PL-518 which I still use at least once a week and some EV 10" two ways which are up on the wall in the garage with replacement woofers changed out in the 1980's.

Bought my Onkyo A5, Dual 1245 and ESS PS-8's in 1977. The ESS are still in use, the others temporarily not being used.

Bought by me, Sennheiser HD414 headphones. Bought when I started college in 1973, and still in use with new foam pads. Bought later: most of my tube amps are from the late 50s/early 60s.

Acoustic Research AR-3a (c. 1967-1969) speakers I got for free (they were given to me - story follows*) on December 17, 2002. Here's a thread about the current status of the ARs: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....uild-part-2-what-capacitors-do-i-need.750365/

*In December 2002 I was working on a huge consulting project at a large estate that had been bequeathed by the deceased owners to become a conservation/research foundation. It was a very large mansion on about 200 acres of beautiful landscape and gardens. I had to work in each of the mansion's 50-60 rooms, with the property manager/butler accompanying me to show me about. When we got to the Old Man's (who died in the 80s and I later learned was the president of one of the largest companies in the world, was on the cover of Time, had his portrait painted by Dali, etc.) barroom/billiard room/man cave, I noticed some speakers built in on one of the oak paneled walls. Because I was having a raging Christmas party that weekend and had speakers on my mind, I asked the butler "what is going to happen to those speakers?" Without a blink of an eye or a moment's hesitation, he asked enthusiastically "do you want them?!" So we crawled into the accessways behind the walls, and not-so-gingerly muscled those 60-pound beasts out of their enclosures. The party was wild. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I did some research on the internet and discovered what I treasure I had been given. And that was the start of my quest to go from having a good sound system to having the best system on my whole block which continues to this day.

And now my system's Spirit Animal is the Old Man, whose play room I got the ARs from. I printed a copy of his Time magazine cover and keep it in a frame looking at his old AR-3as. I always wonder what kind of amps he used!

I still have and have hooked up as a second pair of speakers in a bedroom system a pair of Original Bose 301 speakers I bought from a guy who had just gotten them as a Christmas gift ( he wanted the money for a Honda 350). I think it was 1977, re foamed a couple of years ago and although I have quite a few other speakers I doubt I will ever get rid of them.

I was also given a pair of AR-3as free, but this is a story of regret. When I was very new to vintage gear, and before I knew about forums like this one, a dealer offered me a pair of these for free to make up for a problem with a TV he had sold me. When I got them home, I was disappointed to find the woofers rotted. I rang a number of UK speaker companies and they all expressed no interest in refoaming them, or advising me how to do them. They advised me that it would be a waste to spend money on such old speakers. So I returned them to the dealer ....

Last edited:
I have a pair of Coral BX1200 speakers. Still sound good. Brought by my father on R&R in Japan around 1970. Probably need a recap but still like there sound. On guitar solos you can hear as they switch between drivers.

I still have the Quasar all-in-one that I got for my 14th birthday. It was not the stack of silverfaced components I longed for, but good things come to those who wait, patience is a virtue, etc., etc....

Mine would be my Proton d1200 which I've had since 2004. The 1200 is also back in rotation for the first time in a couple years having just come back from my tech's bench (a bad ribbon and solder joints)

Mine would be my Proton d1200 which I've had since 2004. The 1200 is also back in rotation for the first time in a couple years having just come back from my tech's bench (a bad ribbon and solder joints)
I remember the Stereo Review review on this amp. It had unreal headroom, and almost tested beyond the capability of their test gear, like 600w+ short term. I wanted it soooo bad.

I remember the Stereo Review review on this amp. It had unreal headroom, and almost tested beyond the capability of their test gear, like 600w+ short term. I wanted it soooo bad.
Yes I have that review to. They also called it worlds most powerful 100 watt amp. It has 7.2db of headroom and it's over 1100 wpc into 4ohm short term. It really does have some amazing specs.

I still have and have hooked up as a second pair of speakers in a bedroom system a pair of Original Bose 301 speakers I bought from a guy who had just gotten them as a Christmas gift ( he wanted the money for a Honda 350). I think it was 1977, re foamed a couple of years ago and although I have quite a few other speakers I doubt I will ever get rid of them.

I still have my Bose 201/lls bought new in 1991 and just replaced them with 301/lV in Cherry two weeks ago. I wanted the series l or ll but could not find any in nice enough shape. I have loved the 201/301s since the first day I heard them in the 70s.

I have a McIntosh MC2100 in use. Bought it used in '72 and it's been in service since purchased. Just did a total recap and updated outputs. Also have a Heathkit/Viking reel to reel with separate electronics for record/play.

Geez, I think it was a Dual 1214 and a Pioneer SX-828 bought in 1974, new. The 15" Cerwin-Vega 3 ways, went to someone else.

Lu.

Champco;

I listen to YT vids as well, just running them through the stereo system and into the CD input, and coming out of the laptop.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young have there own website and have loaded up most of there recordings at 1080p. Good sounding uploads.

I put the Deja-Vu album together with those. I even matched the length of the blank tracks between songs. That tape sounds like the album, then. And I think I have two copies of the album, here.

I have a copy of Yes's Fragile album here, from YT audio, but I want to re record it from a record reissue I have. I can't see pirating so much of this stuff, though, not when I have CDs or record albums I can record.

Like it!

Lu.

Back
Top Bottom