How long til USPS puts a package into tracking?

spartanmanor

Lunatic Member
I dropped 3 things off at the post office, the two small packages were put into the system within hours. The large expensive package still does not show up in the system. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It can be days sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't get updated until it's delivered.

Pretty much hit or miss...

I even sent a communique to the "contact us" department knowing full well I'd get no reply. I did not.

I am guessing no one at the post office wants to pick the package up and move it. It weighs about 70lbs and is a big box.

They rarely scan Parcel Post packages into the system in my experience. If you print a scan sheet along with the label and ask them to scan it (yes, means you have to stand in line), it'll show up as scanned in. But, still wouldn't count on much in the way of tracking between there and the delivery.

John

If you paid for the tracking service specifically, then it should show point to point scans.

Under different service scans, I had some stuff that didn't show as up again until it was at it's destination.

If you paid for the tracking service specifically, then it should show point to point scans.

Under different service scans, I had some stuff that didn't show as up again until it was at it's destination.

I paid for tracking and signiture confirmation along with insurance. My worry is if it doesn't even show up in their system I am screwed.

Last edited:

This has been my experience with USPS. FedEx, however, does a much better job of detailing a package's whereabouts. I feel comfortable buying an item shipped by them, USPS, due to tracking difficulties, not as much, although if I have to have it and it's as insignificant as a TT belt I'll bite the bullet and use them if the price is right.:yes:

The systems used by USPS compared to other package shippers are quite different. Historically, USPS has not affixed scannable barcodes to every package, at least not the type that would be required for tracking software/systems. Whereas with UPS, for example, their entire network is built around that label that is generated and affixed to every package per their system requirements. And all of that is done by scanners and machines. (Try walking into a UPS store with your Christmas present wrapped in a grocery bag with a handwritten address scribbled on a scrap of paper and attached with Scotch tape, and then ask them to insure it for you!! That's something that happens all day long every day at the Post Office).

But the USPS is in the process of transitioning to something like that type of process (i.e., trackability/visibility for all packages). So right now, they're supposed to be scanning every recordable type of label that comes in the door, whether at acceptance (origination) or for final delivery. It's not something they've done before, so you can expect that the transition will have its hiccups. (Keep in mind, if you don't print your own labels--with some kind of confirmation, or don't purchase insurance or confirmation at the counter, by choosing to save a couple bucks you are assuming all the risk. Tip: spend the few dollars for insurance.) It's worth noting too that packages aren't all that they handle. In fact, the USPS delivers more articles every single day than UPS and Fedex do in the entire year. In my experience, you can usually count on great point-to-point scanning from UPS, as much as you can count on them delivering the crushed and mangled--and scanned(!!)--box right to your doorstep! That's my three cents' worth!:D

I am going to video my transactions.....

Just buy insurance. And pack your stuff adequately. I.e., make it bomb proof. It's that simple. Unless you can afford to just toss fragile electronics into a box with a few peanuts for packing and then write it off when it's destroyed or lost (like Amazon or any other huge merchant), then you have no other choice. Prolly wouldn't hurt to take a picture of how it was packed--before you seal it. But no amount of video "proof" will get a claim paid if you didn't have insurance. Guaranteed. In fact, no insurance=no claim. End of discussion, as far as they're concerned. And they have every right to do so. That's why they offer it and sell it! If you decline the insurance, you accept all the risk.

So my package still has not shown up in tracking 5 days later. I remembered that I also paid for delivery confirmation via signature so I just checked that number and it shows that it was delivered last Thursday....Thankfully.

What I wonder is, if it never showed up and I filed a claim on the insurance would they honor it?

Parcel post packages with delivery confirmation are only updated at sorting locations, they are not scanned by mail carriers. Delivery confirmation with the USPS does NOT equate to "tracking". It may only update when delivered...that's "normal" for the USPS. Unlike priority mail, which is scanned by carriers and sorting locations. I bought a $500 pair of speakers on Ebay and it did not show any tracking info until they day before they were delivered, and they were USPS parcel post w/ delivery confirmation.

There's nothing you can do until it's delivered or goes missing, whichever comes first. I'm sure it's fine, I got really scared that my Tannoy's were not updated for many days, but here they are.

Actually I miss read the delivery confirmation and it is still out. Keeping my fingers crossed. I did run up to the post office and they said this was not at all uncommon. If it does not show up in a couple of weeks then I need to start to worry.

I sent a TT to an AK'er in Illinois ....Sunday USPS' system said it was at a sorting facility in Warrendale Pennsylvania ......:scratch2:...
Yesterday,I received a PM from the buyer....arrived safe and sound. .. :dunno:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom