How loud do you listen to your music?

Just loud enough for the sound to develop and balance properly, and for the bass to have a bit of impact.

LOUD !! does not work for me anymore. It's no longer pleasurable when I'm listening, and it sets off my tinnitus afterwards.

I have a Yamaha AX 596 feeding a pair of JBL speakers. I normally listen at 20 to 30 %. However if the wife is gone, it might go to 50%. That is pretty darn loud.

I don't need any "Weighting" to know if it's loud and I like it loud I have my Ears to tell me that!:)

Fairly loud in my 32 x 36 garage w/12' ceiling. My hearing is not perfect so higher levels work for me. Push it too far always brings a unpleasant visit from the secretary of war.;)

No idea what specific decibel level I listen at. If I've got the house to myself I listen loud enough to where I can't really ignore it even if I wanted to, but not so loud as to cause ringing ears or anything. Never been a blast my eardrums sort of guy.

If you're at all curious there are any number of free apps for cell phones that are Sound Level Meters. Even if they're not totally accurate having some data is better than none at all.

As for me, I use my Fire tablet with a free app I downloaded from Amazon. Most of my listening averages ~85dB with peaks to 95dB according to that app. On a lark I downloaded a free app for my phone from the Google play store. The readings it produces are very close the what my tablet shows.

We don't like loud anymore, but watching Tom Hanks in Greyhound the other night, my wife really had it crankin'. Not clipping, but using most of the 80-odd watts/channel into the Heresies, which is darn loud.

AGAIN:!
I don't need any "Weighting" to know if it's loud and I like it loud I have my Ears to tell me that!:)

Saying "whatever" is loud means absolutely nothing to anyone but yourself. That why we have things like meters that actually measure SPL. If you want someone to know how loud you play music you need a common reference point. That's what sound level meters provide.

I have tinnitus from the multitude of concerts I went to unprotected in my youth- not to mention hanging out with friends in high school whose rebellion consisted of ruining their hearing listening to AC/DC at paint-peeling levels. So I usually don't listen very loudly anymore. I prefer listening for details, and that dictates my taste in electronics- though I am also hamstrung by finances. So if I find a piece of budget gear a reviewer uses the term "revealing" to describe... into the collection it goes... it's actually fun not being able to get exactly what I'd want, I've encountered a lot of odd and neglected gear, and some odd and neglected people too, haha.

I have tinnitus from the multitude of concerts I went to unprotected in my youth
Same here. 70's concerts were unbelievably loud. Between that and playing in bands, I don't get much past 10 o'clock on my Marantz 2285B.....

Back
Top Bottom