How loud do you normally listen to music?

Normal listening I’m averaging about 70 - 75 dB and when I’m pushing it I’m about 85 dB at approx 15 feet from the speakers .

I generally have the volume pretty low.
It depends on the speaker. I have some that do not wake up until you drive them a bit.
I live in an apartment, so I have to be pro-actively a good neighbor.
I have some near-field speakers configured now, which help a lot with lowering the volume, being pointed right at my noggin as they are.

About 80dB is normal for my ears. Depends from situation but I prefer to listen music between 75dB - 85dB.

I will say that I have never really listened to music LOUD.. I listen to music at a volume that still allows you to have a normal conversation in the same room. I have some hearing damage and tinnitus from sirens/gunfire and it is very troublesome to say the least. I would recommend that people listen to music at a conservative volume and protect your hearing. Tinnitus can sneak up on your faster than you think and mine has never gone away.

60 - 70 db typically for well recorded CDs, even at the lower end of this range detail, stereo image, and overall bass/mid/treble all sound good (e.g. Lucinda Williams, Car Wheels; almost anything by Mark Knopfler or Roger Waters etc). I find some (less good?) recordings need to be played at higher volume to work for me, e.g I find that early Led Zep or Queen albums have to be played >90db to work for me at all. Maybe just that I got used to hearing that stuff really loud back in the 70s!

Also have found that as I've acquired better gear (particularly amp and speakers) that more moderate volumes work better for me they did with lesser gear.
I feel pretty much the same about my music levels, rock is played louder and at 59 I've lost a little of my hearing but I'm also enjoying lower volume contemporary Jazz music now with the purchase of newer high end stereo system in the past 6 months for much better detailed music . Still enjoy rock and recording BLUES from XM radio, but that jazz is really clearly detailed, I hear so many instruments with it.

Haven't a clue of the decibels, about a quarter or more of the volume knob turned up for regular listening and half way up for window rattling loud.
Never been able to turn mine up to even 3/4 way, just too loud and I'm afraid of blowing speakers I can't afford to replace. Besides I like to hear it the level that it was recorded at or at least to what I think it was recorded at.

Back
Top Bottom